info storing? Any ideas?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay i have a LOT of good info that I have saved for future reference. Now last time I saved stuff like that on my computer, it died. I have everything from disaster preparedness to moon signs, pond building, e-books, companion planting, etc that I really don't want lost. Printing it is simply not feasable. I don't think my old printer could hold out since it adds up to over 1000 pages. And in a disaster a computer will more than likely be out so that counts out saving to disks. What do you guys suggest? I even thought about writing it out by hand, but sheesh there has to be a better way! I really want to make my own little personal refence how to guide.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Why can't you print it? Does your library allow a certain number of pages printed for free per visit?

I find that if I use the information, it sticks in my head pretty much. So for example, I made sourdough with yeast from wild grapes once, and made a batch from wild yeast from the air once, so now I could re-create either from my head if needed.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm at home! Maybe if I got a new printer...... Mine is really really old and starting to make funny noises when it prints. People think I'm nuts because I literally cannot remember what I did yesterday, or even things that happen. They'll ask me if I remember doing such and such and I'll be like "I was there? When?"

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Did you know that you can use a lot less ink if you click on "properties" and then choose "fast draft?" And you might even get a printer for free or very cheap if you check on CL. People upgrade their printers all the time. A used printer is a dime a dozen. Worth a try! Then I would print everything and keep loose leaf notebooks. I keep all my recipes this way, and some instructions that are too complex to remember.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I did not know that! I guess printing it out myself is really the only way to go. Boy, I have a long job ahead of me. I downloaded two large e-books that started the whole thing about saving my info. My dh told me to get out a pencil and paper. LOL

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Why dont' you buy some jump drives? The hold lots of info safely, and they are cheap.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I do a paper copy of a really big file sometimes. I try to transfer the info into notepad or something similar. and take out any sections I don't need that way, then print on fast draft.

Not sure how to do that with pdf files, but there is probably a way to do it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well if it is a hard copy that you want but your old printer is not up for the job, you could always email the files to your local Staples or any other similar store and have the printed out.

Of course you will have to pay, but if you did one file a month until they were done you are probably only talking about a few dollars at a time.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First, copy all of your info onto a cd, jump drive or other storage device. Then you can take them wherever to print. Be sure to check with your library to see what they need to do if you bring in a storage device. Then, at least if your computer dies again, you will have a backup.

Flash/Jump/Thumb/USB drives (they have a lot of names) are pretty cheap now. I got a 4 GB for $20 at wally's.

Get a huge 3 ring binder. Like a 3" or so.

Print the pages out a few at a time, punch some holes & stick it in there.

Mine is my best friend. I even went nuts & organized it by topic with little tab markers.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly, IMO your best approaches would involve *not using* those 1000 pages, sorry :p

-- Collect some good books on the relevant subjects.

-- Make yourself a "cliff notes" version of those 1000 pages, containing only stuff that there is really not much chance of you ever remembering and that is actually IMPORTANT not merely interesting, and print *that* out.

But very most of all, more than anything else, I highly recommend:

-- USE the information, put it into practice, make it part of your daily experience. It isn't really much good to you until you ARE experienced at using it ANYhow, and once you are, you will not forget it, or can just make brief 'crib sheets' for things that you might forget.

I feel funny saying this because I am a voracious reader and own a bazillion books and sometimes write magazine articles and highly approve of the written word's virtues in general... but it can be awfully easy to mistake written directions for KNOWLEDGE. Unless you can reliably do it because you HAVE done it a number of times, it ain't knowledge. Although the written word is still better than nothing :p

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat