INJURED PULLET, ADVICE NEEDED

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No one is responding on BYC, and this is very urgent because the co-op closes in about an hour.

One of my pullets was pecked, I assume in a pecking order scuffle a few minutes ago, one of her earlobes is a bit bloody and appears to be hanging off slightly. Otherwise she appears fine, walking around, clucking, etc. I've seperated her for the time being, she's in a small run and is pecking at corn and grain, so she's still eating. We cleaned it up, and put some peroxide on it (not sure if that's okay, but at the moment, making sure it had no nasties in it was high priority). Is there anything else I can do? Should I put her back with the others tonight with some blue powder (the stuff you use for horses) on her earlobe? HELP

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i wouldn't do anything else to it. it should heal fine especially if you cleaned it.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would keep her seperated until it is healed as the others will now she is injured & pick on her more. Otherwise I think you did the right thing.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ended up cleaning it well, and superglueing it back into place. Here are some pictures of it.

Here it is glued back up, the red bit in the middle is a feather

rippedear.jpg

And this is the other ear which is normal

regear.jpg

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
It looks like you did a good job there, lupinfarm! I agree with the others, I'd keep her separate just for a few days. I usually give yogurt and electrolytes to any of our flock when they are injured. She is a very pretty pullet... Is she a Rhode Island Red? Her coloring reminds me of our Patsy (RIR).

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
It looks like you did a good job there, lupinfarm! I agree with the others, I'd keep her separate just for a few days. I usually give yogurt and electrolytes to any of our flock when they are injured.
I'll have to get some yogurt and electrolytes tomorrow, but I've set up a wire dog crate in the office closet with shavings, food, and some water, and we've just brought her in. She's looking for her flockmates, so hopefully she settles into it well. She is a RIR X :) with a Columbian Rock

Also, I just noticed this... the normal side just turned white, the colour is drained, whereas before it was normal and the injured side was drained (still is drained of colour). Is that a bad sign? or perhaps just from being inside? or just from being injured?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry.
you did well...make her comfortable now. stress can make things seem more worrisome.
if she is acting fine, then all is good. nature will heal this fast I am sure.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got her in a medium wire dog crate with shavings, food, water, and a container of yogurt (she now has a yogurt beak, yogurt feet, and yogurt feathers lol, apparently playing in yogurt is great fun). She's sleeping right now, and it doesn't seem to bother her much anymore (she's not shaking her head anymore).

Most of our chickens don't have names yet, because I haven't been bothered to put the legbands on so I can create a name legend (name to legband number), but I banded her when I found her, so we know which one she is when we put her back in. She has since been named Liberty (Libby).

I'll let you all know when she's al healed up and back out with the rest of the flock.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have been much help as we're pretty new to the chicken business and haven't had an injured girl yet. It sounds like you did all the right things! I hope she settles in tonight and recovers quickly.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
keljonma said:
It looks like you did a good job there, lupinfarm! I agree with the others, I'd keep her separate just for a few days. I usually give yogurt and electrolytes to any of our flock when they are injured. She is a very pretty pullet... Is she a Rhode Island Red? Her coloring reminds me of our Patsy (RIR).
I did not know about the youghurt issue. Wish I had as a dog got into my pen & killed 3 hens & injured another & I seperated her to keep her safe from the rest of the flock. Maybe if I had given her some she might have healed up faster. Guess I know for the future now. Thanks!