ink marks on an expensive doll

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About 5 years ago, we bought a real high quality doll as a Christmas present for one of our daughters. Since then we have had another daughter who is (uhhh) interesting. Well the poor baby doll is still beautiful, but covered in ink marks. I've tried a few cleaners, but I was hoping one of you knew exactly what I should try. I don't want to get rid of it because the girls love it. Its foot came off and the baby made me bring it to work last night to put the foot back on. (they are always finding repairs for me to do) So I know they are attached to it.

S

sunsaver

It depends if the ink is oil or water based. Most are water based, so try some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) cut in half with water (2 to1). If it seems to be working with out damage to the doll, increase the strenght. If it does not remove it at all, try some vegetable oil. If the oil seems to be working with out much damage to the doll, you can increase the strength by adding charcoal lighter fluid or mineral spirits (kerosene). Paint thinner (kerosene) for oil based, or acetone (paint remover, nail polish remover) for water based inks, would be the two strongest solvent types available around the home. If the ink and the paint on the doll are made of the same base, you will not be able to remove the ink without damage to the doll. In that case, re-painting or professional restoration would be needed. Often you can remove paint or ink with gel alcohol hand sanitizer such as "Germ X". Good luck!:)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx. I have tried most of what you suggested. I had a little luck with the nail polish remover around the ears, but only because it was the worse marked areas. The same treatment didn't have much results on the face. Between all the different things tried, the marks may be somewhat lighter, but not sure which treatment had the best results. I will treat myself to a trip to the city on my off time and will get the best paint for vinyl in the hobby store. I used to repair toys for one of my children's teachers when they were public schooled, but I've never tackled something like this. It was mainly putting limbs back on and fixing broken china.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had good luck using WD-40 on a vinyl doll head with ink marks. Took some rubbing, tho. I let it set for a while first.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Have you tried a magic eraser? They really do work.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About to try the Magic Eraser. I also had someone suggest hairspray (I hope they weren't joking). And I can try the WD40....what have I got to lose? I told my 15 year old that if I have to paint, I want her to take a b4 and after pic. If I go thru that much trouble, I want something to show for it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nothing is working. I'm tempted to paint it black and make myself a tar baby. But I'll try to match up the paint. Was just hoping I could fade out those ink marks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Go ahead and paint. Nothing takes paint off of a doll. Especially an expensive on that you treasure. You can probably guess how I know that. Kind of like their hair never grows back after one of your children lovingly gives it a hair cut. :rolleyes:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been there too. Actually I think I did manage to fade the marks somewhat, but what helped and what didn't, I don't know. But it doesn't look like it lives in a well managed home. I've had some very good children. # 5 is a whole new experience for me. She can't just put a little lipstick on her lips, she has to use half the stick on mosta her face. Thats pretty much how she handles everything. Its a good thing I had her when I was 41, because I just don't know what I would have done when I was in my 20s and hadn't obtained the sense of humor and patience I know possess.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
None of my baby dolls had hair, and they all were drawn on. People insisted on giving me dolls when I was a kid, and I just didn't like them. The only doll that wasn't destroyed? Penny Bright since she was more like a kid than a doll.