Inspired by Farmer Chick...What is your "to do" list today?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The "tearing my hair out" thread that Farmer Chick started last week or so inspired me to get more done around here. I used to keep to do lists on paper and just sorta stopped along the years. Listing the things I needed to get done on a public forum really lit the fire for me.

My to do list today (after everyone gets fed):
1. Fix the chicken's door so that they can come and go freely, but that hog Dolly (the sheep) wont go in there and eat their B.O. sunflower seeds and scratch.

2. Somehow arrange cinder blocks to make a trough for the two sheep so they won't keep knocking their buckets over.

3. Organize the feed room.

4. Sweep up the hay on the floor of the feed room and get ready for the next shipment of hay.

5. Something I was supposed to do last week...fix my garden's gate so those chickens wont get in anymore.

6. Harvest the rest of the pumpkins and till the soil for next year.

7. Plant garlic and kale!

8. Proof my sourdough starter for tomorrow's bread.

On going: Clean house, grocery shop, fix meals, help with homework, have mommy and me time and EXERCISE! :th

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. BBH!!!! :thumbsup

My list this week:
1. Finish cleaning wintering house windows.
2. Clean out/bed horse shelter
3. Put garden to bed for the winter

big brown horse said:
5. Something I was supposed to do last week...fix my garden's gate so those chickens wont get in anymore.
Sorry to hijack, but, there was an episode of "Sliders", a SciFi alternate time-line series, where the hero THINKS he's finally gone home, but knows it can't be HIS time line because the front gate---which was the last thing he was supposed to oil for his mom before he was "kidnapped"--doesn't squeek. It doesn't squeek because his mom had JUST oiled it before he got there! (So he slides on...)
...there's a lesson somewhere in this...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hua, I never watched Sliders, sounds cool. My chickens are sliders, they slide under my garden gate! :lol:

My to do list is being challanged by the rain. :rolleyes: I made some soup and I'm going to clean out the fire place to be ready for tonight. (We try not to turn on the heat and only make fires in the evenings, but oh, how good a fire would feel on this cold, wet day!)

I was really excited to get my outside stuff done, so maybe when I warm up, I'll put on the rain gear and finish my list.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had two jobs on my to-do list today:

1. Move Earnhardt (dog) to new spot away from pasture so he can't bark at the large animals....which spooks them from the barn. DONE.

2. Construct Gate between large pasture and smaller pasture.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My to do list today was...

can salsa that was made yesterday --- not done

feed and water chickens -- done

haul in more wood -- done

wash brand new work clothes I received yesterday -- Not done, too cheap to wash less than a load and I don't want to use my dryer either LOL

Go to work -- In another hour

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Not much time left today, and being pooped from flying in from OKC this morning on almost no sleep, I am giving myself the rest of the day off. Hence, my list is:

1. Laundry

2. Make dinner....something quick, with lots of veggies to make up for a lack in the past week.

3. Maybe plant garlic if the rain holds off.

4. Walk the dog

5. Check on all the critters and fill all supplement feeders, scrub buckets, etc....all the things neglected while "mom" was away.

6. Hug Ginger, if she still remembers me!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My to do list today (after everyone gets fed):
1. Fix the chicken's door so that they can come and go freely, but that hog Dolly (the sheep) wont go in there and eat their B.O. sunflower seeds and scratch. Done
2. Somehow arrange cinder blocks to make a trough for the two sheep so they won't keep knocking their buckets over. Done
3. Organize the feed room. Done
4. Sweep up the hay on the floor of the feed room and get ready for the next shipment of hay. Done
5. Something I was supposed to do last week...fix my garden's gate so those chickens wont get in anymore. Done
6. Harvest the rest of the pumpkins and till the soil for next year. Done
7. Plant garlic and kale! Add to tomorrow's list!
8. Proof my sourdough starter for tomorrow's bread. Proofed and ready for tomorrow's list
On going: Clean house, grocery shop, fix meals, help with homework, have mommy and me time and EXERCISE! :th Done
Thursday's to do list:

1. Make my sourdough
2. Plant kale and garlic!
3. Cut back vines on front porch, they are taking over the world!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yikes from reading all this work on the board I am tired...LOL
You gals sure do alot of hard work! (are we crazy?:p)

Laundry---doing only small load...NO SUN....no hanging out, so using the dryer...UGH---clothes pile getting bigger and 3 more days of rain.
:hit---there is some rain from my eyes...LOL

make soap, make more soap, make tons of soap is my order of business til after Christmas. Top priority cause it is gift time and I sell the hound out of it right now.

then I need to clean out the goat area and get new shavings down...ugh...waiting for drier weather

then time to trim hooves soon....but again waiting for dry weather

I did get 2 cabinets cleaned out...finally...they are almost bare and WOW I have room to fill them up with something else..HA HA

got lazy today. rain just slowed me down big time but got some stuff done like bathrooms and vacuuming and all that mess.

day is over (maybe)----going to watch Ghost Hunters at 9 then might make soap...who knows...or fall asleep on the couch. Hmm..that sounds better..LOL

made a bunch of sugar cookies for Nicole's school tomorrow for a treat. Yummy.

that's about it....rain rain go away is all I am concentrating on now..

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I make a to-do list, I'll get depressed :p

I'll just give it a somewhat flexible time table

1. Finish putting the garden to bed
2. Once the blasted rain stops, clean out the chicken coop and add shavings to sleeping garden beds.
3. Once it frosts, clean out the front flower bed.
4. Take photo of said flower bed before it frosts
5.Freeze the chicken stock I cooked (uh, better do this one first)
6. Put grumpy toddler to bed
7. exercise
8. Hard boil some eggs
9. Grind wheat for bread
10.Organize pantry now that canning season is over
11. Wash windows

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
play catchup with laundry
butcher quail for supper tonight.
vacuum
clean bathrooms.
barn chores-done three times a day, (one done)
go for a walk.
clean out dishwasher from all the stinky water that backwashed up in there from the clogged drain, (yuck-do NOT want to do this)
bottle kombucha

Latest posts