Insurance help needed for MH with large additions.........

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have a 8x45 foot MH that we have added 8x45 to the front and 12x45 to the back.It is now 28x45.We had to remove walls and some areas of the frame and it is not able to be moved as a MH.I don't really know how to describe it the insurance companies.It has pretty much been totally redone and has all new floors,windows and roofing.It does still a area with underpinning instead of a solid block foundation.Anybody have experince with this type of home?It can't be moved like a mobile home or trailer.It would have to be moved like a regular house.We're not planning on moving it,I just wanted to state that really isn't a mobile home.Please let me know about any help or tips you might have.Thanks

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here in MI, if there are 'any remnant's' of a mobile home (even if that means only the frame), it must be insured as a mobile home. :idunno

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
same in NC

a mobile home, even if rermodeled is still insured as a mobile home

even a permanent manufactured home (that was never mobile) is just that. one step from stick built but no matter what you do to it, it will never be rated for insurance 'like a stick built home'

just describe exactly what is was, how you changed it and they will insure as they see fit.

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks,Thats kinda what I figured but I wasn't sure.And you really have to watch what you say talking to insurance folks.One told me I could only have so many chickens and I couldn't sell any.Don't know why they would concern them selves with what I do with my birds.:idunno

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am happy with our homeowner's insurance and I would use them again.

That said, all insurance companies should be given information on a need-to-know basis. Our agent wanted to know the breed of our dog. I told her a mutt (which is true), but during my next go round, I won't even mention a dog, if you catch my drift...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
ThisOldCabin said:
Thanks,Thats kinda what I figured but I wasn't sure.And you really have to watch what you say talking to insurance folks.One told me I could only have so many chickens and I couldn't sell any.Don't know why they would concern them selves with what I do with my birds.:idunno
Because if you're selling them, you could be considered a business. And if you're a business, then you'd need a different type of insurance, which would probably include something for in case anyone that came over to buy a bird got injured. After all, we know how aggressive chickens are.

Yeah, I agree, insurance is a PITB.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I had a MH...it was considered personal property..MH..if it still had the wheels and axles attached to the frame underneath. If it wasn't, and they were removed, it was considered "Real estate"..... How is the property listed at your local tax office? Mine were registered in MS, SC, TX and KS..and we had insurance on all of hem. We had one, the one in TX, that we placed on our land and removed the wheels and axles. I don't have any of my previous insurance policies paperwork left over to refer back to though. Check your local deeds and tax office, to see how it was listed previously. Unless, you placed it there originally.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThisOldCabin said:
Because below a set number [varies by company] they are considered pets, excede that and they are livestock and then you need a whole different policy. the difference between Homeowner's and farm & home for me was $489/year which was a lot for one extra duck! BTW companies will often trade information privately so that they can avoid the fair credit reporting lsws. In other words you have no right to check your file and anything in that file can be shared, often to retain customers they will bad mouth you to other companies. If you are ever asked who carrys your insurance now, shange the subject or refuse to answer!