Interesting Japanese Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As the Japanese culture struggles with the disaster, has any one noted the LACK of coverage regarding looting and so forth. I think it is very interesting and telling for the culture that they are working together rather than against each other. I'm not so sure when TSHTF here in America we will have the same reactions.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
morgj said:
As the Japanese culture struggles with the disaster, has any one noted the LACK of coverage regarding looting and so forth. I think it is very interesting and telling for the culture that they are working together rather than against each other. I'm not so sure when TSHTF here in America we will have the same reactions.
I need a facebook "like" button.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, my husband commented on the same thing - not a single sign of looting going on. You can bet that wouldn't be the case here. And yes, I think it says a lot about our culture.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think it says much about our "culture" at all. I think it says much much more about our justice system, and our media, but not our culture. I'm not sure that I know a lot of folks who would steal during a crisis situation. I don't hang out with those people. I know a lot of folks who would go door to door checking on elderly neighbors, a lot who would voluntarily be digging through rubble to help rescue those who were missing, and a great deal more who would open up shelters for displaced people and feed them. Yes, a small percentage of the population would turn to theivery and mischeif, but they do NOT represent MY culture at all. Just sayin ;) I love America!

I think of MY culture as those who sacrifice to give to others(our soldiers, teachers, pastors, policemen, etc. etc.), those who make charitable donations all over the world and home as well out of their own pockets. America is good. Media would have a different picture painted of us :/ Generally speaking, the good stories aren't blood and guts enough to get much attention these days :smack

So, in short, I think things would be rough, but not inpossible for us to rise to the occassion, God forbid such occassion ever be faced again. I say AGAIN, because...9-11 was almost as large of a loss in human life, and look how we reacted to that. Katrina, again, MOST people were actually helpful but less of them got media coverage than the gun toting idiot thugs that were left behind to loot and wreak havoc.

Personally I think this says a lot about the Japanese media ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you haven't heard about looting yet cause they are mosty dead

they are in shock right now and NOT much left too loot at this point, place is flat.

all the 'bad news' from this will come out sure enough.....just wait

everyone works together in disasterous times, or ya wouldn't get thru them....good people, bad people. they are everywhere.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I don't think it says much about our "culture" at all. I think it says much much more about our justice system, and our media, but not our culture. I'm not sure that I know a lot of folks who would steal during a crisis situation. I don't hang out with those people. I know a lot of folks who would go door to door checking on elderly neighbors, a lot who would voluntarily be digging through rubble to help rescue those who were missing, and a great deal more who would open up shelters for displaced people and feed them. Yes, a small percentage of the population would turn to theivery and mischeif, but they do NOT represent MY culture at all. Just sayin ;) I love America!

I think of MY culture as those who sacrifice to give to others(our soldiers, teachers, pastors, policemen, etc. etc.), those who make charitable donations all over the world and home as well out of their own pockets. America is good. Media would have a different picture painted of us :/ Generally speaking, the good stories aren't blood and guts enough to get much attention these days :smack

So, in short, I think things would be rough, but not inpossible for us to rise to the occassion, God forbid such occassion ever be faced again. I say AGAIN, because...9-11 was almost as large of a loss in human life, and look how we reacted to that. Katrina, again, MOST people were actually helpful but less of them got media coverage than the gun toting idiot thugs that were left behind to loot and wreak havoc.

Personally I think this says a lot about the Japanese media ;)
You are right...I think the majority of people are good and decent. Unfortunately, the bad apples always make the news. BUT, living in Florida I have witnessed numerous hurricane aftermaths, and there are always plenty of people with the "it's all about me" mentality who take advantage of others. I think that does say a lot about the culture of a large population of the U.S.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hehe yeah. Check out Japans justice system. We indeed COULD learn a lot from them and how they seem to be reacting to this crisis.

If more folks here were actually even a little tiny bit more scared of what would happen to them if they get caught stealing goods, there wouldn't be near as many folks willing to loot and take advantage. Fact of the matter is, they aren't really punished at all. :hu They see it as nothing to lose. Pitiful.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Actually, most of it isn't flat. Just chatted with my friend in Sendai for about half an hour, and he said most of his city is fine. If people wanted to loot, they would certainly be able to do so.

I'm sure there is some looting going on, though. Even Japan has criminals. We just aren't seeing it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Japan's history of quakes is volatile big time.
these size 8 categories are not unique to them.

they have alot of recovery, but I know they will succeed.

there will be looting, dealth, disease, etc. as per any huge disaster, but they will come thru strong.

"they" are no better than our culture, "they" are not smarter than our culture, "they are no more humane than our culture---and by 'our' I mean the rest of the world.

they are not perfect in any right. LACK of looting info and media sure doesn't mean it isn't happening lol

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you haven't heard about looting yet cause they are mosty dead

they are in shock right now and NOT much left too loot at this point, place is flat.

all the 'bad news' from this will come out sure enough.....just wait

everyone works together in disasterous times, or ya wouldn't get thru them....good people, bad people. they are everywhere.
It's the Japanese! They were playing video games on Sunday :D Seriously, I saw a news article on it. They just go about their daily lives. Heck, when I called my friend, Tomo, to make sure she and her family were okay, she informed me that everyone was fine but she was a bit scared. She said that typically she enjoys a good wobble, but she was scared when she had to walk home 5 hours in stilettos because no trains were running.

That is why I LOVE the Japanese. They keep right on truckin'.

Not saying there aren't bad Japanese people, but generally speaking, they have a much higher code of morals than many Americans do.

I wouldn't be SHOCKED to see news reports of looting, but I imagine news crews are really going to have to dig for that story.

Status
Not open for further replies.