Interesting to me- reasons

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Free, i always thought we were sisters.... i showed up at half day kindergarten already knowing how to reed.
:lol: Check out your typo!!!! :gig Classic!

I made it out of kindergarten NOT knowing how to read. Determined not to learn, too. I was born 10 months after my sister, less than two years later my brother was born. I figured that once I could read on my own, mom would stop reading to me....so I decided that I would never learn to read.

Couldn't help it, though, and at some point over the summer I was reading my favorite Dr. Seuss Cat In the Hat dictionary.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
can anyone home school their kids? i think being disciplined is more important that what you know.
I'm the least disciplined of all people. So, I figure we'll just do school year-round to make up for the weeks I forget to do school. I'm mean, sometimes it's just pretty outside, or there's a mountain of laundry to do, or well, I just want to sleep. ;)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
Free, i always thought we were sisters.... i showed up at half day kindergarten already knowing how to reed.
:lol: Check out your typo!!!! :gig Classic!.
hee hee hee i said i could READ not type!!! tipe???? tighp???hee hee hee hee

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I agree Monique, my mother has taught me so much!

Unless it is something I am truly interested in, I will not remember anything about it by the next day - sad but true. Another season why it is important to pursue careers that one is interested in! Tamlynn made some EXCELLENT points about some of that.

When I was younger I HATED reading and writing, all of that, nor was I very good at it. One day my mom wanted to read me a book before bed, I wasn't much interested about even having a book read to me - until she started. I became soo interested. Soon I didn't want her to stop and I ended up finishing it on my own.

Maybe it was just the subject of the book, but ever since then I have loved reading. (I think the book was actually 'Caddie Woodland'; see, I was even into SS stuff at that age) By seventh grade (11 or 12 then) I tested at a college reading level and was reading adult books (Ok, not THAT kind of adult!) - probably doesn't show because of all my typos and screw ups due to arthritis, but that doesn't affect my reading!

I think the most important thing I did learn from a public school was what not to do, that words could easily hurt someone so deeply. Obviously I knew that already, living in the household I do, but it was amplified much more, that not everything is all bliss.

And really, not all teachers who do teach are qualified. Sure, they have that paper in their hands saying so, but we all know how that goes. I had one math teacher who, when I needed help, said that if I could not learn the way he was teaching it, then that was my problem and that I would have to figure out how to pass on my own. I passed, but with a D.

Another teacher, a substitute Phy-Ed teacher actually, was very verbally abusive to the majority of the students. I remember at age twelve or so, after telling him that I could not swim and being forced into the pool, him swearing at me, sputtering and spitting in my face, as well as having racial slurs and very derogatory comments thrown at me, his entire head getting SO red. I cannot fathom someone having that much hatred for someone they do not know. If I wanted to put up with that I could have gone home! :lol: :p
I guess that type of stuff encouraged others somehow, but that just made me want to kick him in the balls and walk out. ;)

Anyway, if I keep going I'd write an entire book!

I'll leave agreeing with Savingdogs' post "I think every child is individual and every family situation unique. There is no right way because children learn differently."
And I'll agree that Caddie Woodlawn is a great book. That was one of my favorites as a child.
Later when my daughter was learning to read, I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to her and I think that both of those books were an inspiration for me wanting to live the life I'm trying to live now.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k, this prolly has nuthin' to do with nuthin'.

I'm going back to college for the summer semester. I scored a 26 on my reading/writing ACT but too much time had passed, so I had to take a COMPASS test. Since I scored 99, the advisor told me to CLEP out of Freshman Comp I & II. I can barley spell my name, but I guess I'm good at the reading/writing part. Must be all the reading I do for fun.

k, now to my question. Has anyone ever CLEP'd out of Intro to Sociology or Intro to Psychology? I'm tryin' to finish my degree asap, so thought about tryin' to CLEP those classes.

sorry to hijack.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay....I have a bachelors degree in Liberal Studies with a certification in Elementary Education PreK-8. I desperately want to keep my children out of public schools.....case in point, the elementary school they would attend had to be on lock down last week because a 7 yr old with a cell phone made four 911 calls and said there was someone in the school with a gun. I bet you money his parents didn't do a dang thing to him. Scared the heck out of everybody.

My BF and her MIL are both teachers in the same school district and are vehemently against me homeschooling. They say that they have tested homeschooled children and they don't know how to take a test and are properly socialized. I'm sorry, but my children talk to everyone. We have to keep a close eye on them both because they will go up to anyone, regardless of age, race, sex, whatever and speak to them. Everyone comments on how articulate and polite my children are and cannot believe me when I tell them their ages. They always think they are older.

I love the fact that my children aren't pressured everyday to conform to someone else's idea of what's right. I have always encouraged them to think for themselves and make their own opinions based on facts and observations.

I have subjects that I am strong in and my husband, thankfully, is strong in some that I don't like. I think that if you are thoughtful in what you do and seek out help in areas that you lack then it will be okay. I want my children to be involved in activities but I won't let them do it until they can understand commitment and follow through. My son is 5 and my daughter is almost 3. I think that homeschooling is a good choice for children that don't fit into a "mold". My children can not sit still for hours at a time and my son would be bored to tears in a public school. He gets frustrated now when we have play dates with children his age and they can't communicate at his level or they talk like "babies".

I don't want my kids to have to deal with all the social aspects that get in the way of them learning. My dd is very much a tactile learner and those kinds of learners get lost in the public schools.

As far as being with my children all day....it's okay. When I need a break I take a break, when they need a break they take a break. There are times when I send them in their rooms for alone time or outside (where I can see them) to play on their own. For now, it works for us and that's all that matters. To each his own.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We homeschooled for two years to get a couple of our special needs kids caught up as the public school was intent upon passing them through the grades regardless of their ability to read or write. I was a huge success for all of us. I learned the patience I needed to teach them and the curricula were easy to follow anyway. We all got closer and developed some wonderful memories and by golly, I have three kids who LOVE to read because that was something I could impart to them that the schools today simply don't have time for.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am at least as qualified to teach as many of my kids teacher's if not more, and my daughter is dyslexic and a very kinesthetic learner so she would probably do very well in a more open environment. So home-schooling is a temptation. So, I do homeschool over the summer months. But, by fall she and I are both glad for her to go back. Her learning style is SO different than mine that I have trouble understanding why she isn't getting some ideas.

Public schools vary so widely that it has to be a case by case basis. Her school is pretty good and I keep an open ey and ear on what is going on there.

Teaching at the college level I can tell you - it isn't wether the kid was homeschooled or not - it mattered what they were being taught. I had kids who were taught strictly from the bible. Essentially if it wasn't in the bible it wasn't true. I had kids who were homeschooled by parents who basically wanted farm hands..... Then I had wonderful young people who had clearly been given a classical education on how to think and reason. What a joy it is to teach them!

Everyone's situation is unique. We all have to make those decisions on our own.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
k, this prolly has nuthin' to do with nuthin'.

I'm going back to college for the summer semester. I scored a 26 on my reading/writing ACT but too much time had passed, so I had to take a COMPASS test. Since I scored 99, the advisor told me to CLEP out of Freshman Comp I & II. I can barley spell my name, but I guess I'm good at the reading/writing part. Must be all the reading I do for fun.

k, now to my question. Has anyone ever CLEP'd out of Intro to Sociology or Intro to Psychology? I'm tryin' to finish my degree asap, so thought about tryin' to CLEP those classes.

sorry to hijack.
It is almost always worth taking a proficiency test to avoid a semester of a class. You will be charged at most places for this, at a nominal fee. SOMETIMES, if you are required to log a minimum number of hours in a subject, you will need to take a class, anyway, or not have the hours to graduate.

THE BEST BET, to do classes is to get your degree online. (I have logged 232 college hours, and I've taken 18 hours, or, 5 classes, online. Most degree programs require 120 hours to graduate.)
WARNING: Many online classes require that you log in for your first grade BEFORE classes begin on campus. AND, the deadlines are WRITTEN IN STONE! Some professors who are MY age (52) or older have a hard time with online classes, and make them EXTREMELY difficult, whereas they wouldn't be that hard if you were in their classroom. (It has to do with the belief that you can too easily cheat in your online class. That is ridiculous, since I could write a curriculum that would teach you the subject online even if you cheat.)

I, personally, LOVE online classes. Any classes I take in the future WILL BE online, if I can do it. :D

Latest posts