Interesting to me- reasons

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
We have HAD to homeschool our daughter off and on because of her health problems. Neither my husband nor I enjoyed it. DD really missed being around peers. She was bored most of the time. I felt like I was actually dumbing her down because I had forgotten most of what she had to learn. We bought the whole Christian curriclum because we worried we wouldn't be able to teach everything. It was very hard on everyone.

Now, with her being in public schools, she has more services available to her and she is so much happier being around other kids. For our family, the public school was a better option. Besides the fact the schools here are great. The teachers and the principal go out of their way to make sure she has everything she needs.
That is wonderful!

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
redux said:
I chose not to homeschool my child because my degree is not in education, so I don't feel qualified. I believe that in order to teach, you should be trained to do so. I also feel that children need to make social connections, learn to work in groups, and get a taste of the real world - which isn't always pleasant, but they have to learn to deal with life on life's terms. I don't believe they really benefit from being sheltered and secluded.
My older DD's (now 26 and 29 years old) do not live next to, socialize with, or benefit from ANY of the bullies who tried to make their time in public school MISERABLE.
LOTS of educated people like to throw their education in your face. I am proud that I have a Bachelor's, but teacher certification gave me no additional degree despite an additional 100 hours of (mostly) BS (that's a joke, you know, "Bachelor of Science") courses. (Yes, I have 232 collegiate hours under my belt.) The worst was the required "Special Education" class. Every test was multiple choice, every section every year got the same 5 tests/semester. I even had a question (on one of those tests) that--no joke--was worded with 3 double-negatives. Whisky Tango Firefox :rant
If you make ANYTHING complicated enough, people believe that it's hard to do. Were you UNABLE to potty-train your child? Were you unable to teach your child language? Were you unable to teach your child to dress?...not run into traffic?...watch tv?...color?
It is just plain hooey to think that you cannot teach your child without a degree. The Teacher's Unions make you feel inadequate. The HEADS of the teacher's unions steal union dues to pocket and to elect their own politicians who support their own interests. Any teacher here on this forum that can refuse membership in a union? Anybody?
I know that we will have vouchers in the future. It will destroy the corruption--they know this. DON'T let ANYBODY make you think that you cannot teach your children!! We do NOT want our kids to grow up like the 2008 Chinese Olympic Gymnist who, when asked about her parents in the audience, and when she'd go home next, didn't know. (WHY? Because she is a slave to the state.)
We are Americans. We are self-sufficient. We CANNOT be defeated, unless we let someone defeat us. ...rant over...
No one MADE me feel that way. When something is wrong with my car, I take it to a mechanic. If I need my appendix removed, I go to a doctor. To educate my child, I rely on an educator. My degree is in accounting. If she needs to learn about debits, credits, GAAP and IRC, I am there.

US History, English grammar, foreign languages, calculus, etc.? I need someone else to teach that.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If we could pick and choose our children's teachers the way we get to pick and choose doctors, mechanics, dentists, etc. the world of public education would be unrecognizable, and I mean that in a good way.

If you feel you are not qualified to teach your own children, that is just fine. But I really feel you are not giving yourself enough credit. Is your area of expertise the ONLY thing you know how to do? Of course not! All of us learn things every day from our own study and from those around us.

Learning how to learn is one of life's greatest accomplishments. I didn't get a degree in early childhood development before I decided to become a mother. I didn't get a horticulture degree before I decided to plant a garden. I don't intend to get a degree in gerontology before I grow old.

I don't depend on the written or verbal approval of others to know I am good at or qualified to accomplish something. Conversely, just because a person has a degree or is certified in an area doesn't guarantee they are any good at it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:thumbsup

One of the most important things a parent can teach is a positive attitude. But only by example. A thirst for knowledge and a willingness to try, and an attitude that what others view as failure can also be viewed as a valuable learning experience.

My parents could have taught me everything....and I mean everything....I learned through high school graduation within three years. Not through third grade, but in the same amount of time spent. I was reading at college level by age 10, and I didn't achieve that by my teacher's efforts. I achieved that through my parents' examples.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree Monique, my mother has taught me so much!

Unless it is something I am truly interested in, I will not remember anything about it by the next day - sad but true. Another season why it is important to pursue careers that one is interested in! Tamlynn made some EXCELLENT points about some of that.

When I was younger I HATED reading and writing, all of that, nor was I very good at it. One day my mom wanted to read me a book before bed, I wasn't much interested about even having a book read to me - until she started. I became soo interested. Soon I didn't want her to stop and I ended up finishing it on my own.

Maybe it was just the subject of the book, but ever since then I have loved reading. (I think the book was actually 'Caddie Woodland'; see, I was even into SS stuff at that age) By seventh grade (11 or 12 then) I tested at a college reading level and was reading adult books (Ok, not THAT kind of adult!) - probably doesn't show because of all my typos and screw ups due to arthritis, but that doesn't affect my reading!

I think the most important thing I did learn from a public school was what not to do, that words could easily hurt someone so deeply. Obviously I knew that already, living in the household I do, but it was amplified much more, that not everything is all bliss.

And really, not all teachers who do teach are qualified. Sure, they have that paper in their hands saying so, but we all know how that goes. I had one math teacher who, when I needed help, said that if I could not learn the way he was teaching it, then that was my problem and that I would have to figure out how to pass on my own. I passed, but with a D.

Another teacher, a substitute Phy-Ed teacher actually, was very verbally abusive to the majority of the students. I remember at age twelve or so, after telling him that I could not swim and being forced into the pool, him swearing at me, sputtering and spitting in my face, as well as having racial slurs and very derogatory comments thrown at me, his entire head getting SO red. I cannot fathom someone having that much hatred for someone they do not know. If I wanted to put up with that I could have gone home! :lol: :p
I guess that type of stuff encouraged others somehow, but that just made me want to kick him in the balls and walk out. ;)

Anyway, if I keep going I'd write an entire book!

I'll leave agreeing with Savingdogs' post "I think every child is individual and every family situation unique. There is no right way because children learn differently."

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What is it with phys ed teachers???? :rolleyes: I had a nice one through grade school but in high school I got a nasty woman who actually made eye contact with me while kids were bullying me and making fun of my clothes. She just watched and stared into my eyes the whole time. What a creep. That was my first month at a new school in a new state. It was downhill from there. I was wicked smart but painfully shy.

She did an exercise in "health class" (what a joke that was!) where she had us take an "IQ test" and made up IQ's for each of us....she gave me an IQ of 70 then asked me how it made me feel. I looked her in the eye and told her that her test was incorrect. She tried to argue with me, but quickly gave it up. I had already been told by the guidance counselor, after the real tests, that I should go into a specialized branch of medicine such as neurosurgery. She was a gym teacher. She was no match. Sheesh!

But even then I knew that I would not survive a life confined in a building, under flourescent lights. I'd rather dig in the dirt, collect goat poop and look at it under a microscope, stack wood, and attempt to spit out every animal hair that is in my mouth at any given moment....an exercise in futility this time of year! :lol: How's that for an IQ test.....

BB, I suspect by now that you know that grades in school and ability to spell when typing quickly have no bearing on one's intelligence......schooling in this country is stuck in the industrial age. It is at least 50 years behind, if not more. I loved the movie "Good Will Hunting."

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bullying would make me change my mind in an instant. I was bullied and would do anything to keep my kids from it. It breaks my heart that kids have to deal with so much crap. And I know that in our school district, even though there is a no bullying, zero tolerance policy, it only applies to certain students. My best friend's children have been put through He!! from other kids and the faculty.
High school was a waste of time for me. I learned to pass tests, dump the info as soon as test was over, and repeat. Classes where I would have like to learn alot were a joke.
I want my kids to have practical knowledge so I will homeschool when I believe it's needed. From what I have seen, our school district so focused on college prep that I'm not sure it will fit our needs. It will also depend on the child and their needs. Time will tell.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
redux said:
No one MADE me feel that way. When something is wrong with my car, I take it to a mechanic. If I need my appendix removed, I go to a doctor. To educate my child, I rely on an educator. My degree is in accounting. If she needs to learn about debits, credits, GAAP and IRC, I am there.

US History, English grammar, foreign languages, calculus, etc.? I need someone else to teach that.
If a child needs to learn those subjects, you can purchase curriculums, textbooks or sign up for online classes for them. They give you the information, you choose how to present it to your child. There are even DVD sets available. Also, many HS families exchange classes. One parent may have a degree in physics, while another is a homemaker. Guess which one teaches cooking classes & which one teaches physics to both of their kids?

Plus you might just learn something from teaching a particular subject to your child. Teaching DD spelling & grammar has greatly improved DH's abilities. He would never have tried to freelance those subjects, instead he uses a curriculum.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
as for qualifications - with respect to any here who is actually a teacher - most of my teachers were horrible
My oldest son once told me he learned more about history listening to me and his dad sit around and BS over coffee than he learned from any of his teachers. Sad.

We also have an pretty good library of history related books including 2 that crack me up...

"Legends, Lies and Cherished Myths of World History" &
"Legends, Lies and Cherished Myths of American History"
by Richard Shenkman

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I was reading at college level by age 10, and I didn't achieve that by my teacher's efforts. I achieved that through my parents' examples.
Free, i always thought we were sisters.... i showed up at half day kindergarten already knowing how to reed.

my parents taught me the value of achievement and success, and the only thing i learned from my teachers was that i was smarter than most of them. i did my time, got the grades, and figured out strategies to work the system... paid my fee, got my degree, cha-ching... gave them all the finger.

i actually had the opportunity to tell one of the worst teaches just exactly what i thought of him when i was out in the real world... but i didnt. i wonder how many other kids he bullied from the front of the class. maybe there was a time when teachers were something special but i think the deck is just stacked against them in lots of ways. and i cant help but think that kids who idolize their teachers are just lacking something at home.

can anyone home school their kids? i think being disciplined is more important that what you know.