Interesting ways/ideas for your Kombucha!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just rejuvinated my kombucha and strained and jarred up the vinegars it turned into while I neglected it. :p Three jars of it!

Anyway I thought (because I love pickles) I'll bet we can make pickles out of this 'vinegar'! Well low and behold, someone beat me to it!

So here ya go, homemade kombucha pickles!

http://tribes.tribe.net/fabulousfermentation/thread/4d31a957-3d80-4c2d-999a-66e41d5c97bc

The pickling ideas are endless! Quail eggs, carrots, asparagus, dilly beans etc.

I also use kombucha vinegar for salad dressings too.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I wonder if my sheep will eat it? They are so picky!

I put it in my compost and feed it to the chickens etc.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I just rejuvinated my kombucha and strained and jarred up the vinegars it turned into while I neglected it. :p Three jars of it!

Anyway I thought (because I love pickles) I'll bet we can make pickles out of this 'vinegar'! Well low and behold, someone beat me to it!

http://tribes.tribe.net/fabulousfermentation/thread/4d31a957-3d80-4c2d-999a-66e41d5c97bc

The pickling ideas are endless! Quail eggs, carrots, asparagus, dilly beans etc.

HMMMM. Interesting. I am still learning here so bear with me... Will the ACV "hurt" the kombucha beasties? My daughter doesn't like the kombucha (even mixed with apple juice!) but LOVES dill pickels. Would be a good way to get some into her!

Thanks for the recipe!

Tom

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
big brown horse said:

HMMMM. Interesting. I am still learning here so bear with me... Will the ACV "hurt" the kombucha beasties? My daughter doesn't like the kombucha (even mixed with apple juice!) but LOVES dill pickels. Would be a good way to get some into her!

Thanks for the recipe!

Tom
Nahh, it shouldn't hurt the kombucha vinegar, as long as it is apple cider vinegar (preferrably the raw unfiltered stuff) and not white vinegar.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool! I'm gonna try it (with store bought cucumbers...).

Thanks!

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try putting some grape juice concentrate in your kombucha for your daughter. It tastes almost just like grape soda, especially if you have bottles and let it fizz up for a day or two.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My whole family loves kombucha as is, but I have read on blogs and such about doing a double ferment with it, --after you strain it, put it in other containers with different kinds of fruit, similar to what CoT is saying, but with real fruit. I have tried it with strawberries and blueberries, and the end result is quite nice. But since we like it straightup, I dont bother.

However, with my water kefir, I do do a second ferment, with different fruits, or fruit juices. I have used ginger in it to, and it comes out tasting just like gingerale. I did grapes once and it tasted like wine.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I experimented with water kefir last summer and just couldn't get anything tasty that we liked.

I do have a fantastic recipe for homemade ginger ale that is wonderful, and it uses honey instead of sugar!