Internet without Satalite tv.........?!

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DF has told me that, after we move, in order to keep internet, we have to keep satalite tv.....
what if I didn't want tv any longer......?

So how does the everyone here do internet without electricity?

We'll be too far out for cable - thank goodness!

I'm trying to think of ways to save money, and teach my youngest three children that there are ways to entertain themselves besides cable tv.

Is this the best option or the only option that I have?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you intend to have a phone you can have dial-up or maybe DSL? Other than that, you could always just use the library when you need to access the internet. You can also do the internet over satellite dish without activating the TV part of it. Just don't plug the TV into the whole set up.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had dial up internet with People Pc for $11 a month up untill last year when I got a lifetime price on Verizon dsl for $15. We did get a satellite with Dish Network when we moved out here (no cable) but the basic family plan is only $25 a month. If you have highspeed internet you can view movies on the computer but I dont know how other than Netflix but thats a monthly fee too.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the info - I really had no idea.....!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We get DSL through our phone line, and we don't do television at all. We do have a Netflix subscription, which allows us to watch movies online whenever we'd like, and they also send us DVD's. Our monthly Netflix subscription is about $8-9 dollars a month, but we usually ask our parents for a gift subscription for Christmas so we only end up having to pay for it a few months out of the year! ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am cheap! I am willing to suffer with dial up, slow as it may be, as long as I only have to pay $12 a month! LOLOL

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Don't know how the reception would be where you are.

I use a USB broadband card. It's a little device that plugs into the USB port on the computer.

It operates on radio waves, same way a cell phone does.

You'd have to check with the service providers where you are and see what they offer. And ask some neighbors about how good the reception really is.

The one I have is from Verizon. I pay $60 per month on a two-year contract. Got it before Christmas last year and got the device and start-up at no charge. Christmas specials and all.

Sprint, and I think, AT&T have about the same deals.

I've only had trouble with not getting good reception when I was out in the middle of the country in southern Illinois. It's worked fine in Georgia, and north and central Florida.

Am thinking of just using local WiFi when this contract is up. Don't know yet. The device is handy: go anywhere, no wires, etc. You can use it in the car, take the laptop out to the deck, and what have you.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all for the alternatives - I (we - my children and I) can do without Satalite tv, but my DF doesn't want to as of right now - so I'm thinking of ways to help keep bills down below a certain amount once we move. I work for under $7 an hour, so alternatives that are money savers will be needed.

In the future, if/when I could talk my DF out of keeping satalite, I'll need to know where to turn to for internet service.

Thanks

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
country freedom said:
Thank you all for the alternatives - I (we - my children and I) can do without Satalite tv, but my DF doesn't want to as of right now - so I'm thinking of ways to help keep bills down below a certain amount once we move. I work for under $7 an hour, so alternatives that are money savers will be needed.

In the future, if/when I could talk my DF out of keeping satalite, I'll need to know where to turn to for internet service.

Thanks
I wonder, what is it about men that they have to have TV? Drives me nuts!

Course, I suppose I shouldn't complain, it drives him nuts that I like the computer and internet. Thing is, I went nearly a year without internet and didn't miss it much at all (that was before I found ya'll! LOL) but he can't go a day without TV!

Griffox

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Where I live, my only choices for internet were dial-up and satellite. Dial-up was waaaay too slow and since I don't have satellite tv, I decided that with Satellite internet I could at least download movies/tv shows...not how it turned out. Let me explain...

Yes, you can have satellite internet without having satellite TV. In fact, if you have Sat. tv, you will have to have a separate dish installed for internet. This is because internet is sent through a different satellite than Tv.

Installation cost me about $400. OUCH!! Plus, I'm paying 59.99/mo on a two year contract. What I was told before signing up is that you can sign up for different speeds based on your needs. If you sign up for the lowest speed and find that it is too slow, all you have to do is call and they can change your speed. the lowest speed is 59.99, or if you pay 69.99 you can get a higher speed, etc. This is very misleading, however.

Like I said, one of my reasons for choosing internet over television was that I figured I would be able to download shows and movies. It turns out that the different "speeds" are actually caps on the bandwidth that you use per day. for 59.99 you get 200 mbs/day. If I want 300mbs/day, I have to pay the 69.99. If you exceed your mbs/day you get punished by losing your internet (well, actually you still have connection but at slower than dial-up) FOR 24 HOURS!!!! For more information, google FAP policy for satellite internet.

I learned very quickly to stay away from Youtube or any videos as a couple of those will use up all my bandwidth for the day. I have to be careful downloading music and program files, as well.

With this said, I NEED high speed internet and it is worth it to me to have it even with all the hoops. It's hard to get used if you, like me, are coming from broadband where you have unlimited usage. And I'm more miffed that this wasn't explained to me honestly BEFORE I signed a two year contract and handed out $400.

So, for those of you who think you are going to be able to watch your shows online with satellite, re-evaluate your priorities. Hope this helps! Now, I have to go to my parents house, 45 min. away, so I can watch my shows for the week. haha. :lol: