Intro

Bunnithebrat13

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Southern United States. We have hot humid summers and winter gets pretty cold but it is rare to get snow. We do get frost though.

2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
i just know there's gonna be a time when buying and selling will be hard so I want to be prepared. Plus you never know if there will be a truck strike or something and groceries are hard to come by.

3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?

i mean outside of making my own skincare products and being able to sew a little bit i wouldn't say I'm too self sufficient. Youtube has been a big help when it comes to that stuff and fixing up my house. My garden isn't producing just yet because I just started as I just bought my house and can put down permanent roots (although I did get some Oranges on my blood orange tree... it was nice to harvest them and make juice and use the rinds for skin care).

5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

Yeah i make lotions and oils for skin and hair. I make body scrubs and I'll be learning to make soap soon. I do my own nails (acrylic and the like). I'm not much of a teacher but i can try.

6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

As far as i know i can have chickens in my neighborhood. I live in a small military town so it's not usually for people to have chickens. I think someone had a rooster maybe a block over which i loved hearing every morning but you know how complaining neighbors are 🙃
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

yes. I'm working on my set up now. I'm gonna get a tiller soil can prepare the land in my back yard. I plan to sew corn, cabbage, collards, okra, and cucumber right now. I have several fruit trees, three of which God has allowed to bear fruit every other year (if I can learn how to keep the squirrels from getting to my pomegranates before they mature that would be great! ). I love planting fruit and veggies but I also love flowers. I want to make a moon garden (flowers that open at night) around my back patio. I love flowering plants and vines. I'm currently working on a nice set up in my front yard. My porch is filled with plants and vines too. My orchids started off great but now they're looking pretty pitiful lol

8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

I've probably caught a handful of fish in my life time. A guy was dating at the time taught me the basics. I gave two fishing poles right now but they aren't set up with a reel. When I did fish we used bait and even caught our own fiddlers to catch sheephead. I like to go crabbisheepshead.

9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?

i got a pretty decent amount of space in my front and back. I just bought my home.

10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

i want to get better at making skin care products and medicine. I also want to learn how to preserve food.

11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
no but I'm working on my home and would like to learn

12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?

yeah. I can mix up a little something and that comes from old family recipes but I would like to learn more.

13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
rural hawaii.... southern tip of Florida.... rural Japan near the ocean (I love the beach)

14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

nope

15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?

yes and yes. I've never had raw milk though

16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

no but that's mainly because I don't care for deer and stuff like that but i would like to learn to forage.

17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?

i can sew a little. I can learn most anything if I can see it taught.

18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
Not currently

19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
no but I'm not opposed to it. I do have animals though so it's about how to keep them healthy, safe and happy at the moment.

20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
Yes
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yeah it has

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas! You can raise a lot of food in a small space. I once lived in town with a garden and some hens. I fed us from that garden!

Bunnithebrat13

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome from western Washington!

I'm glad you can plant right now. I'm wrapping up the garden here because we sometimes freeze the second week of September
Oh wow
We're still in the 90s here so I'm planning on putting a little something in the ground. We don't start freezing until maybe December or Jan