Introducing the SS-CPI

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of tracking the prices of stuff that actually matters. I'll have to write down stuff next time I'm at the store.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You don't have to report all of the items each time you take the quiz.

I can add other items, if needed, too.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's the spreadsheet of results (below). Everyone should be able to view it, whether or not they have a Woogle account. The date and time is automatically generated. All of the columns correspond to the questions. When we have a little more data I (and anyone else, for that matter) can do some analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnwfQHEAycNcdFRDb0Vkc3RSZU5kbUZoUHNMUFlhTVE

Let me know if there's any problems viewing or submitting data.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very neat, thanks! :cool:

We'll be going to make a massive (for us, anyways) feed store/grocery store trip within the next week and I'll add my info.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just messed up a line due to forgetting to convert metric to Imperial, so corrected it.

The first entry from Alberta Canada shows whole wheat flour in Kg not lbs, corrected it in the second line. Hope I worked the rest of them out correctly!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very interesting. I look forward to reading the results. Not sure I should participate.

My grains come from Oregon and I live in Ca. I could post current local market prices. Which I do my best not to pay.

;)

G

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Very interesting. I look forward to reading the results. Not sure I should participate.

My grains come from Oregon and I live in Ca. I could post current local market prices. Which I do my best not to pay.

;)

G
Why not post both? On separate lines?

I never thought about the "local" issue before I put my input my prices, however everything I posted is actually local--southern Alberta is sugar-beet territory, the eggs are definitely local (and not what I buy, my free-range farm eggs are $4/dozen, the price I put in is for the most inexpensive grocery store eggs--but the company is definitely very local) and all of the Canadian prairies is grain/canola territory. We don't buy corn for much, just to eat fresh on the cob in the summer here and there, and I don't cook with it much.

We are growing heritage Floriani Red Flint Corn to try our hand at drying it and making corn bread/muffins and polenta from our own corn this year, but it's more of an experiment than anything else.