Is 12 yr. old stored flour good for anything?

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Baked biscuits with this flour... all ok except for a slight different taste...not terrible..just different...edible flour has been stored in a glass jar sealed with tape around the cover....flour white (no color change) Have decided to replenish flour to store while I still can and wonder if there is a use for the old one....give to the chickens mixed with their food crumbles? or just throw the flour away....got any ideas? Have any of you replenished your stock in this way? any ideas will be helpful to all of us I guess.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it didn't hurt you, I wouldn't be afraid to use it on the birds. Make the absolute biggest bisquit you ever saw and go for it. I hate waste.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
yeah I'd make a simple flat bread with it and use it as feed for the birds.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's generally OK, just a little "off" in taste, try mixing it with other flours with a stronger flavor, like rye or oat. If it's allot "off" yea, the chickens would love a giant biscuit! Just keep in mind, when it's hot they need less grain because grain raises their temp. So do it on a moderate day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Don't ask me...I'm still grinding and using red turkey wheat that has been stored since the 70s! It is lovely and makes soft, elegant and great tasting bread. :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't eat it because flour goes rancid over a much shorter time than people might think--and it's not good for you even if it doesn't appear to bother you. Wheat stores much better, if kept properly it should last some 30 years compared to flour that is actually "bad" within weeks.

Here's a site I found with non-food ways to use it up :)

http://www.ehow.com/info_8238120_uses-rancid-flour.html

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Apparently flour is a good stainless steel cleaner. Rub it on dry and "polish" with the flour and a rag.

Smileyfacecat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, I would not use it for food purposes. However, I might keep it on hand near the stove (just make sure you label it, "DO NOT EAT"), just in case you ever have a grease fire.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do not throw flour on a grease fire. Flour burns easily and will just add a new dimension to the fire. In the right concentration in the air flour can even explode.

Lid is the best way to get rid of a grease fire.

It's baking soda or salt you toss on fires to put them out.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Do not throw flour on a grease fire. Flour burns easily and will just add a new dimension to the fire. In the right concentration in the air flour can even explode.

Lid is the best way to get rid of a grease fire.

It's baking soda or salt you toss on fires to pu:lol:t them out.
Good to know, my DA would have done the same thing. :lol:
It would not have been funny then, thank you.