Is 21 out of 30 a bad hatch rate??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cuz that's what I got. yesterday and today were very nervewracking for me. My first time incubating, and I did a mixed and staggerd hatch of 30 quail eggs, and 12 chicken eggs. Due dates were/are 18 and 21. The quail started hatching early--I could have counted wrong, but they started yesterday at about 1 pm. the last one hatched out at about 4:30 today. Two were duds, the rest died in the egg. i didn 't have a hygrometer, something that I will try to get for my next hatch (or at least the one after that--anyone know where to get one in Canada?) I think it was becasue the humidity was too low that the hatch took so long, and some didn't make it.
On the bright side, I now am an official quail farmer! AND, my kids got to see a chick hatch from an egg. I have had broodies before, but this was a frist with a bator. All four of us, hubby included, found it absolutely amazing to see a chick hatch out of an egg.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I think that's a good hatch.

You don't count the duds when trying to figure your hatch. If they've never developed, they weren't fertile. Use only the fertile eggs as your number of hatchable eggs.

So if you had two duds, you just had 21 out of 28 hatch. I think that, if my math is correct, would be a 75% hatch, and most of us are happy if we get a 50% hatch.

So I'd say you did GOOD!! :thumbsup

*to get your hatch rate, divide the number you had hatch by the number of fertile eggs you started with. 21/28=0.75 = 75%

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't/haven't hatched my own yet but I'd say that is a good rate. And considering you didn't have anything measuring humidity, I'd venture to say that is a superb hatch rate.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup decent hatch rate but of course now you have to keep the little buggers alive.

so wait til some hit more maturity and then do your re-count of success

hope you do well

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yup decent hatch rate but of course now you have to keep the little buggers alive.

hope you do well
Well, the lifespan of a quail from egg to freezer is just 6 weeks, so I hope they should last that long, although I am keeping some for breeders. they are all doing fine this morning, now I;m just waiting for the chicken eggs to hatch. :fl

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
FarmerChick said:

hope you do well
Well, the lifespan of a quail from egg to freezer is just 6 weeks, so I hope they should last that long, although I am keeping some for breeders. they are all doing fine this morning, now I;m just waiting for the chicken eggs to hatch. :fl
WOW is it that fast on the little guys? that is a short time.....but for me mainly the chicks (laying hens) would knock off like 2-3 weeks after born....that seemed to be "their window of death" time for "???" reason

LOL

Bet they are yummy when defrosted...:drool