Is a 1/2 acre enough?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If your car is haveing issues on a dry driveway....I would be very concerned about the winter. My sister bought a home in KY last summer. Its BEAUTIFULL....however, the driveway is...well..lets just say it leaves a lot to be desired. I have a little S10, and struggled to get up it in the dry summer. Her 4WD truck even struggled this last winter...and was stuck several times. Its a long, steep drive..and when you have little ones. ( hers are 6 and 8 yr olds) its even longer walking up that drive...carrying a crying cold kid!!
Now, on the UP side...1/2 acre is plenty to feed your family on! Just remember...if it climbs, ( beans,peas, cucumbers, etc..) plant it along the fence line. There was an article called "square foot gardening" But I am computer challenged and have no idea where to look for it here....but maybe someone can locate it for you.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
We have 1.2 acres, and it is almost more than I can handle. I have goats, sheep, chickens, bees and rabbits. The ruminants have room to graze at least 8 months of the year, and I have more garden than I can keep up with. I also have room for a small orchard. Most of my property is fairly level, and a large percentage of it is a lovely pasture. It really does depend on the type of property, but you can really do a lot on a small area of land.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a 4 wheel drive Honda or the likes and studded winter tires. Personally, a king cab pu with 4 wheel drive. Get a used ford. We have a 96 deisel that keeps on truckin.

Don't let the drive way scare you away. Vehicles come and go but the land is forever.

Make sure that half acre has good sun.
Make sure the water is adequate.

I would get someone in there and regrade the section you don't like. It will only enhance your property value in the long run,

it could be a price negotation factor also

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
It does sound like enough room for a good garden. Here' s a good link:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/qnastart
I use some of their techniques and it makes sense.

Mackay was right that the driveway could help you get a price break on the place. Could you get an estimate about what it would need to fix it Before you commit to buying?
I wouldn't trade vehicles over it, since your hubby has a truck already, but you still need to be able to use that driveway.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
It does sound like enough room for a good garden. Here' s a good link:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/qnastart
I use some of their techniques and it makes sense.

Mackay was right that the driveway could help you get a price break on the place. Could you get an estimate about what it would need to fix it Before you commit to buying?
I wouldn't trade vehicles over it, since your hubby has a truck already, but you still need to be able to use that driveway.
Well, it's not the driveway. It's the road leading to the driveway. It's a private dirt road. I figured it's something that can be fixed. I'm wondering too if it's only this bad recently because of the bad winter we had and all the rain we've had this spring. My hubby doesn't seem to think it's a deal breaker either and figures if I can't get up the hill I could walk it if need be. He just needs to be able to get to work and back. It's funny, because where I live it's FLAT. This must be the highest point of the whole area!
Anyway, the real estate agent is showing the house/property to me today. Wish me luck!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If it is wetland, don't count on that land as usable for animals. It may be grazeable for some animals (esp. chickens) for some of the year, but you need to have amply sufficient HIGH AND DRY totally-non-wetland area to fully accommodate the animals. Think of the wetland area as "seasonal extra", not as a place you really KEEP animals.

And I would betcha that huge clouds of mosquitos and possibly blackflies will rise from the swamps every summer evening, come up the hill, and be pretty bad...

Ask me how I know,

Pat, living on a property the front half of which is wetland ;)

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another issue to consider when looking at steep, hilly, etc. access roads is if you are going to have animals you will need to haul them and if they don't fit in the back of a pickup that means a horse/stock trailer. Pulling one means more horsepower in your tow vehicle to start with and steep or icy roads add to the load and control issues. Also want to make sure you have good turn around for trailers. Speaking from experience of hauling beasties for friends (we have a 15' stock trailer) some places are *#@*#%^*@ to get in and out of !!!! We hauled a pony once on a lane that crossed a dam between two ponds that was only a foot or two wider than the wheel base on the trailer. Talk about holding your breath!!:fl

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also make sure you know exactly where the setbacks are for the wetlands. If you want to build any permanant out-buildings you might not be able to because of those, or even make substantial changes to your own home if the setbacks have changed since it was built. The setbacks on our property currently go through our living room.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The setbacks on our property currently go through our living room.
Craziness like that would not fly even in my small country, dear Poland. ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Also, if it is a private road--who maintains it? How is it paid for etc. IS it maintained? If all the people on the road need to come together to pay for and do the upkeep, i would seriously look elswhere. Maybe that road is as good as it gets? And if it is, and your car is already having trouble in good weather, I shudder to think of what it would be like in bd weather, let alone having to haul critters etc.