Is a hog ever too big to be butchered?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Now that everything is calming down here on the home front I can think about having the hog butchered. I can't believe how much he has grown in the past 2 months!

He isn't a year old yet, but he looks to be over 300#s.

Any thoughts?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Any thoughts?
that i wish i lived next door?

we had a couple over 300 and i think its more about the ease of handling than anything. and he isnt too old so you should be ok.

but FC would know - she grows her hogs out pretty darn big.

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I just made the call today.

He will be 1 year old next January. (I'll take a photo of him for yucks before he goes.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
actually in the 250-350 range is TOP HOG meat
he should be perfect right now

when ya hit into the 500 and 600 lb range then the meat actually becomes a bit greasier and more waste involved vs. the amt of feed for upkeep

so go for it right now---you will have some great meat from that hog!!
:)

YUMMY

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks FC!

I am getting excited about all this meat!

Because he was a gift from the heavens I decided to share him with a few good friends and good neighbors. (Too bad you all don't live closer!) I'm even giving the EMT/firefighters a share, they transported my daughter to the er/hospital and hand wrote her several get well soon cards.

He has been a happy pig, raised without any antibiotics, immunizations or chemical de-wormers in a nice sized pasture with sunshine, fresh air, part of a forest and green grass. He got daily servings of fallen organic pears, plums, apples, garden left overs, acorns, a giant chanterelle and pastured hard boiled eggs. Not to mention, a banana a day, scraps and raw pumpkin seeds.

He even got his back scratched. (If he didn't look so darn uncomfortable when he walked we may have kept him as a pet. I am thankful he made my decision so easy! I really didn't want a pet pig!!!!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay, BBH! It'll be hard to do in one sense, but in another....yum!

Anyone know how many acorns it takes to get a pig to 300 lbs?? Mine are still so small!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have no idea! This guy was always a beef cake.

I picked acorns (thanks to you) at the park near the hospital every day for 34 days. We have no acorn trees around here.