Is anybody here as afraid as I am?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With all this financial mess going on I've just been going along making preparations for whatever might come but today It just seemed to overwhelm me and I got really afraid of what is coming down here in the US and around the world.

This happened to me a few weeks ago also. Thats when I decided to really get my food storage in gear. Motivated by fear I guess, to do a job that I had been thinking about for a long time but just kept putting off.

Anyone else getting freaked out?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Hello Mackay -
Don't panic. Yes things look pretty bad right now. And yes it can possibly get worse. But no reason to panic. Prepare yes, panic no.
Make your plans, do what you can to make preparations for some possible tough times.
If you do not have emergency supplies by all means lay some by.
I think most people here are working on being prepared to take better care of themselves but most of us do not have the room or facilities to be completely self sufficient. Actually I don't think it is possible to be totally self sufficient. Thats why there have been tribes and communities since the begining. So relax a little, decide what you want to do, make preparations, and work towards set goals.
Read the post hear and learn from all these wonderful people.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Not more than concerned.

Remember that reporters, especially in TV and internet, make their living by sensationalizing almost everything. And most of the wailing is coming from people whose livelihood is making money in finance.

I remember my mother telling me about people who went to the tops of local mountains, convinced that the world was ending, at the turn of the century- that's 1900 not 2000. Remember Y2k? The ice age that was supposed to be happening in the 1970s? The savings and loan crisis that cause many runs on banks? The Cuban missile crisis? The atom bomb scares of the 1950s?

Bad things do happen of course- rarely are they actually predicted by TV reporters though.

It is hard not to get anxious when it is harped on constantly, especially on TV.

So do what is reasonable and when you find you are being made anxious by all the news- turn off the TV. It's amazing how much better that makes me feel anyway.lol

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Yes, it worries me. Yes, I've been slowly putting little things away, but not getting crazy. I have enough food and supplies to get me through the winter, should anything get out of hand. BUT....I don't see that happening. DH was talking about quitting his job the other day, simply because it seems to be costing us more for him to work there than locally....my response? "Well, we've got plenty of food, we won't starve". That's my plan....don't starve and get through the cold months...after that, work on another plan. :)

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The main thing is don't panic. Yes, sometimes it bothers me, if I dwell on it. I try not too.
Our parents and grandparents made it thru the depression and I am sure most of us will survive this. Main this is get what you need to survive and not what you want. The wants need to stay on the back burner until you can offered it.
Our parents and grandparents survived on alot less. They made it through the rougher times, the Great Depression, The Dust Bowl (black blizzard).
We will be okay if we don't panic.
Just my thought.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I am very concerned. I am in Canada and the signs are all around me...friends have lost both thier jobs and thier savings in the last month, retailers are having preChristmas sales of up to 70% off to survive. All of a sudden groceries are getting cheap. This isn't just the radio and news trying to put a scare tactic in...this is for real. Read the alternative news and they have been predicting this for some time now. It's not going to be easy. We are going to be working to eat...no more buying goods just because you have a fancy for them. Inflation is going to be the next hit...so make sure you get alot of what you need before that happens
Panic...NO. The thing is we can't worry about things we can't change, but we can prepare the best we can.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Well, I am very concerned. I am in Canada and the signs are all around me...friends have lost both thier jobs and thier savings in the last month, retailers are having preChristmas sales of up to 70% off to survive. All of a sudden groceries are getting cheap. This isn't just the radio and news trying to put a scare tactic in...this is for real. Read the alternative news and they have been predicting this for some time now. It's not going to be easy. We are going to be working to eat...no more buying goods just because you have a fancy for them. Inflation is going to be the next hit...so make sure you get alot of what you need before that happens
Panic...NO. The thing is we can't worry about things we can't change, but we can prepare the best we can.
Good post!

We have been doing what we could to prepare as well. Not just to survive winter, but to curb any excess spending for spring. I already have my seeds purchased for next year, holding on to my chickens where other people around me are down sizing thier flocks before winter.

I also tried to find clothes for my kids a size or two too big and put them back just incase a time comes when I can't buy them clothes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
concerned yes, freaked out no.
being 48 my age isn't used to "hard" times...lol...so this is something new for me. With loss of jobs, homes, prices increasing it hits a nerve definitely! And I believe it will still get worse before we settle and improve.

I am not a huge stocker but I do stock good item deals when I see it. I have a little more than normal amt. of food in the freezer, pantry has soups and other canned goods I got a great deal on and stocked........but owning a farm or garden I know there will be food if desperate.

So doing the best regarding some SS ways about stocking, being prepared etc. but not going overboard.

I think the length of recovery of this financial country mess is what is annoying to me....knowing it will not be fixed overnight and that it can get worse. Living with hard times and uncertainty gets on ones nerves...but I am truly trying to put it on the back burner a bit and still live good without so much worry. Have too, survival instinct for me not to worry so much..LOL

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They aren't cheap where I live either.

Well said MorelCabin:

The thing is we can't worry about things we can't change, but we can prepare the best we can.