Is becoming Self Sufficient the new fad?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Were we all ahead of the crowd?

I see stuff regarding becoming more self sufficient all over the internet and television.

Morning news does demos on making soap.

People are asking me how to take care of chickens.

I see a lot of lawns torn up for gardens.

Goats are the new dogs.

Were we just extra smart and ahead of the curve or does this stuff just stand out to me because of my interest in it?

:pop

Just interested in your opinions.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's a fad for sure.

I wouldn't call it becoming self sufficient though.

I would call it "dabbling in craftsy home-ec gardeny hobbies", or something like that.

Pat

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first thought is....with the economy as it is, people are just looking for more ways to save money by doing things for themselves vs paying someone else to do it for them.

It may be more than just the $$ factor, but I'd still say it plays a big role....jmo :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
well the price of gas adds to the thought that too many trips to the store is unwise....

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think all those people who have felt they needed to do something for a long time are now feeling uneasy enough to be motivated to actually DO. That's what I get from my friends who are asking me how to take the next step.

I think there is some faddishness in it with some - and they'll choose exactly the wrong thing to do, and will drop it pretty quickly (oughta be some good deals on bedraggled chickens in maybe six months?). :)

But many are just taking a step they've been contemplating for some time.

We thought about it for years, and it really wasn't the economy that moved us. But now we feel like we are doing it 10 years too late.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It's a fad for sure.

I wouldn't call it becoming self sufficient though.

I would call it "dabbling in craftsy home-ec gardeny hobbies", or something like that.

Pat
You got it. It has nothing to do with government or WalMart. These people aren't even thinking like that. They are thinking that it is so fun and cool to make your own stuff. It is a hobby, not a way of life. I know because I am pretty much one of them.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
I think all those people who have felt they needed to do something for a long time are now feeling uneasy enough to be motivated to actually DO. That's what I get from my friends who are asking me how to take the next step.

I think there is some faddishness in it with some - and they'll choose exactly the wrong thing to do, and will drop it pretty quickly (oughta be some good deals on bedraggled chickens in maybe six months?). :)

But many are just taking a step they've been contemplating for some time.

We thought about it for years, and it really wasn't the economy that moved us. But now we feel like we are doing it 10 years too late.
I agree with that. People used to be interested in the things we were doing to be SS, but were not really motivated enough to try it themselves until now.

For some people it's about saving money. My MIL has been laid off for a couple years now, and this year they decided to get some chickens and plant a big garden. If their financial situation improves, will they keep up with raising their own food? Who knows?

For many people it is companies like Mansanto and worries about what we are eating that is pushing it. There are so many documentaries now, like Food, Inc. and The Future of Food, people are worried about genetically modified food, pesticides, etc...

And for some it is a fear of being controlled by the government or large corporations that makes them want to be more SS.

At least this is what I have gathered from talking to people in my area about the subject.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've recently had two friends want to "see my set up", so they can copy it. I have to snort and giggle as we constructed everything from recycled parts and nothing is pretty, but it is functional. They live in town and I cannot imagine what neighbors would think if they looked over a fence and saw my back yard! :gig