Is becoming Self Sufficient the new fad?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"poor" and "frugal" are not the same thing, poor people don't generally have much in the way of savings, and not everyone who is "frugal" has the means to save--some people are "frugal" out of necessity.

"rich" has many definitions, and not everyone who might be thought of as "rich" (e.g. obvious signs of wealth) actually has any money. Equally, not everyone who actually has money appears to be "rich". Most millionaires live like average people, that's how they got "rich". People who spend to excess, or have a visibly "rich" lifestyle are often in debt, the worst kind of "poor".

While I believe in what this forum refers to as "self-sufficiency", I am actually a strong believer in community. My own "self-sufficiency" could better be described as "taking personal responsibility for what my family consumes". "Frugal", "green", "veggie gardener", "sewer", "quilter","home canner", "seed-saver", "prefers organic and local" all apply at times, and are just means to an end.

And I watch tv when I feel like it ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well I'm rich and frugal and richer by being frugal, and I am NOT bragging :p I just know you all know what I mean :lol: There is a balance and a WIDE range of definitions! I'm just busy being me, and everybody else should be busy being themselves as well. ;)