Is canning veggies cost effective?

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you can your home-grown vegetables, you have taken back a portion of the control of your food supply from the corporations. They make millions of dollars from all the additives and preservatives they put in food and then expect us to be willing to eat it.

I canned 159 jars of vegetables last year. I plan on canning more than that this year. I still have eleven quarts of snap beans left, but they'll be gone by the time this year's harvest comes in.

I have a Presto pressure canner with a dial gauge, but I'm going to get a Mirro brand one instead. Constantly monitoring the dial gauge is just too much trouble. I'll use the Presto for sterilizing the jars.

Yes. Home canning is worth every penny of it.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Veggie PAK said:
If you can your home-grown vegetables, you have taken back a portion of the control of your food supply from the corporations. They make millions of dollars from all the additives and preservatives they put in food and then expect us to be willing to eat it.

I canned 159 jars of vegetables last year. I plan on canning more than that this year. I still have eleven quarts of snap beans left, but they'll be gone by the time this year's harvest comes in.

I have a Presto pressure canner with a dial gauge, but I'm going to get a Mirro brand one instead. Constantly monitoring the dial gauge is just too much trouble. I'll use the Presto for sterilizing the jars.

Yes. Home canning is worth every penny of it.
I already plan on preserving my own veggies. But for stuff I don't grow, that's what I wasn't sure about.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
BINGO! A lot of what passes for food is just carefully marketed and packaged commercial/industrial waste.

Soy is used to fix nitrogen in the soil. The fact that they can get you to pay to eat it is just a bonus. (You didn't really need that thyroid anyway, did you?)

Everything that is low fat, reduced fat or fat-free is just garbage leftover from extracting the most nutritious and tasty part of dairy...the fat. The fact that they can add cheap subsidized sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors and then get you to buy it at a premium price is gravy.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
BINGO! A lot of what passes for food is just carefully marketed and packaged commercial/industrial waste.
i'll add my "aint that right"

wow, VPAK - 159!!! awesome. we are down to our last jar of beans.

and i'll be watching your blog for how you do with your Mirro. (and yes there is a lot of fiddling around)

:)