Is canning veggies cost effective?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I've always cooked on a gas range, the few time i cooked on electric and electric glass top, i didn't care for it.I like a steel burner that i don't have to worry about breaking. Can't comment otherwise about canning on a glass top electric stove...Give me an old fashion gas stove anyday...!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We really, really miss our gas stove. Every glass top stove I've ever used, I have not liked. I do about 60% of the cooking at our house and our new glass top range will be replaced as we can afford it.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have a Presto canner, bought earlier this year, and a glass top stove. It works fine. I am careful about moving it - lift, not slide - but don't have any issues with it (other than that I dislike the glass top, and would much rather have gas, but can't, for the foreseeable future anyway - but that is not the canner's fault :lol:). On my stove I don't have any great problems regulating the heat - but then, I've never pressure canned on another stove, and so wouldn't know the difference. I turn it up to high to get it up to pressure, and then turn it down to medium, and a few minutes later down further, as low as possible while still keeping the gauge jiggling. I believe that the instructions say to to move the canner off the heat source when the canning time is up (at least, that is what I do, and I must have read it somewhere), so I just lift it over to a cool corner of the stove to let it gradually release pressure. No problem with siphoning so far - but, other than removing it from the heat source, I don't try to hurry the cooling down in any way.
Thanks ORChick, this helps a lot, I'll look into the Presto canner!

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
chrissum said:
How would a canner work with a glass top stove? Or, does it work?
Works the same as my old electric stove with the coils for burners, did you think it would be different?
Did not know, that's why I asked, thanks anyway.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I maybe missed this in the thread but...
what about canning veggies I buy. I can buy Roma tomatoes for .69 a pound. That's about 3 pounds per quart, which is over $2 a quart which is more than I would spend for tomatoes I use normally, which are at $.88 a pint.

So am I wrong for just holding out for the few tomatoes I'll be growing and then just buying the commercially canned tomatoes?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's about taste, nutrition, and food safety. If you trust the commercial food, by all means buy it.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's just tomatoes and a bit of salt, i'm okay with it. If it has a bunch of additives, then I'd avoid it. Thanks for helping me decide.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Commercial tomato cans are lined with BPA-containing plastic to keep the cans from eroding.