Is fermented(ish) bread dough edible?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I goofed yesterday and instead of putting some unused bread dough in the fridge overnight, I left it on the counter - and just found it now. So 24 hours on the counter instead of the fridge, and it smells very... "beery with an extra kick of sour" is probably the best description of the smell.

It's a pumpkin bread, with three types of flour, quick oats, and a lot of raw pumpkin. All the usual things, too: water, hot butter, yeast, salt, white sugar.

Would you go ahead and bake it and try some? I don't mind a fermented or sour type taste, but of course want to avoid any bad microbes I might have let grow through my forgetfulness.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go ahead and bake it. If it doesn't smell bad now then it most likely isn't. Baking will get rid of any *bad guys*, and one taste will tell you if you want to have another taste. If not, the chickens might like it; the compost surely will. You may have something wonderful, but if you don't, and throw it out after baking, you will only be out the cost of the baking time. Let us know how it turns out.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It doesn't taste good. The initial taste is fine, but the aftertaste just isn't right. It's pretty close to being a "spoiled food" taste. I guess the compost pile will like it just fine. Next time I won't forget to refrigerate it. :rolleyes:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's too bad :(. Still ... lesson learned, and all that :)