Is it financially worth it to buy a meat grinder

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! OK. This one is definately going at the top of my wish list and is to be purchased ASAP. I'd love to make my own sausage. We go through soooo much sausage during football season and I'm really geting tired of buying it!! Using it for relishes would be great too! My great aunt used to grind liver to put in dirty rice. It was the best dirty rice on earth!! I wonder if she still has that old grinder. I know it is at least 38 years old because when I was a kid she was grinding some meat and I remember her saying it was older than I am. It had belong to her mother (my great grandmother). I'd love to have it (and that dirty rice recipe :drool ). I think I need to give her a call :D

If I can get one for $30 it would be worth it to me even if I only use it a few times a year.

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
after reading about the pink slime and reading what you guys have said I am totally on board with getting a meat grinder.:thumbsup :woot

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got an enterprise meat grinder on ebay ~$50 but I was able to use the paypal option (no interest if paid in full in 6 months) so you can try that if you don't want to plop down $50 right away. I love that thing! Heavy duty, and only needed a wash. It is definitely worth it if you find one used.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We found a meat grinder at garage sale last oct . for 20.00 it's cast iron.. Haven't used it yet.. Have seen old ones like it as high as 50.00 or more.