Is it just us or is there alot of contamination and recals on food?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My goodness this summer has been horrible for contaminated or recalled foods. I've heard about tomatoes and lettuce being recalled...the paper yesterday mentioned there was a recall on no name brand flour...Maple Leaf meats had a huge bacterial problem that affected alot of people here in Ontario and even killed some. That white plastic lining they are putting in tin cans now before canning is cancerous...yup, and it seems to be in most of them now...like what was wrong with the plain can???
In the last couple of days there is an Ecoli outbreak in my city from a Harvey's restaurant. 143 people so far ar sick with E coli...and it is contagious to top it all off. I'm not even sure if I want to send myu son to school on Monday because he can become infected by simple hand to mouth contact after touching something that someone infected has touched! I am totally staying away from town right now...anyway I just find that it has been ridiculous this summer. I can't wait to grow a huge garden next summer and can alot of it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! BTW, love your signature line...been meaning to tell you!

I focus on building the kid's and my immune systems up, as exposure is inevitable. We manage to escape the flu bugs going around at work and school each time...for years now. We have been drifting away from this kind of lifestyle and eating bad foods lately, but I plan to start back up this month. Regular exercise and immune-boosting diet is our health plan! :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks Bekissed:>) I find myself always talking to God in the car...LOL!
We eat fairly well here, now that I have finally put my foot down with DH and his idea that bringing home pizzas three days a week is a good dinner:>) I am a meat and potaoes kind of person...and love salads...so eating healthy is pretty easy to do around here if I have my way...my DH is the king of fast fod though and needs alot fo fast food fixes. I think maybe all this tainted food stuff scares him a little though...One of his favourate lunches is the sub shop...and maple leaf cured him of that one pretty quick. I know alot of people who won't touch anything with processed meat anymore:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find myself always talking to God in the car
That's so funny....me too! :lol:

We are one of those people....we don't do storebought meats and especially not processed foods. Actually, we don't eat much red meat at all and try to stay away from preservatives. Don't drink pop or such...just water and maybe some frozen concentrated fruit juices with no sugar added. Also avoid dairy like the plague...I would eat some cheese, if I made it, but not out of the store.

There are exceptions to all that, at times, like party foods or taking stuff to someone else's party, but mainly we try to go easy on processed anything.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I know I was scared off from store bought tomatoes this year!

The food contaminations have been bad this year. I am so hoping to learn how to can so next year I can put up my garden!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I haven't canned much...one year I made bread and butter pickles and tomato sauce from a bumper crop of tomatoes and cucumbers

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel bad for China, they let some contaminated milk get to the public and some children got really sick, I think a few died.

Didn't peanut butter also get recalled for salmonella? And peppers after tomatoes were recalled..

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I thought they decided it was peppers instead of tomatoes. I remember watching on 20/20 or something about a farmer who plowed under thousands of tomatoes because they were rotting in the field. No one would buy them. Then, it's discovered that peppers were the cause after all. What is this farmer supposed to do? " Gee, we're sorry we made a mistake" is not going to recoup any of his losses.

Too many shortcuts are being taken for the all-mighty dollar. Food coming into this country is not as regulated as it should be. Our food supply is being outsourced.

Per capita, 3% of Americans are farmers. One farmer supplies enough food to feed 55 people. Gov't subsidies go to farmers who produce soybean and corn, not for food, but for high fructose corn syrup and fuel alternatives.

Buy American (if you can find it)
Sorry, got off track but that felt good to vent some.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
America needs more farmers of FOOD. We have acres and acres of GM corn around here - its really sad, when I look at all that land I think of all the good things they could be growing - but I guess REAL food brings in less $$$

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Visit farmer's markets. Then you are supporting your community and the american economy. Plus the more people who go to farmers markets, the more people who see it as profitable, the more people will do it...