Is it my drill or me?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ldychef2k said:
My exhusband tried to hang a shelf made from a 2x6 with straight pins so it wouldn't leave big holes in the wall. How'd that work out for you, pilgrim?
That should have been your first clue! :lol:
There were so many, it was hard to pick.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
As others said use the slowest speed to back out the screw (anti-clockwise), sometimes running it forward just a tad will help loosen it then back it out. Getting up at shoulder level will be the best advice possible, using a ladder or chair get up high enough to lean into it. The driver bits are hardened and will eat away any screw-heads if it slips. When on a ladder or such and heavily leaning into something always think about what will happen to you if the wall suddenly moved.

noobiechickenlady said:
Is the phillips head the correct size? I used the next size up from what I should have, the bit couldn't seat itself completely and I stripped out a few screws. Changed the bit and it was fine. I actually bought a new one, because I lost the original #2, which is the whole reason I was using the #3.
The number #2 is the average size that will fit 90% of common philip heads, a #3 would be for a very large screw and would not fully seat most screws, the #1 or smaller would just twizel and grind as it would bottom out without engaging the flutes.

Using the laws of physics you can get a huge mechanical advantage by just using a longer screwdriver, an 18" driver will remove most screws as if they were in butter, of course you will still need to lean into it. When doing drywall I kept breaking or stripping the screws as my lumber was very hard old yellow pine, I bought a 18" driver from harbor freight for $5 and all was good after that.

And as what I think Blackbird implied is nothing more then the simple conservation of angular momentum. The longer screwdriver shaft kinda builds up torque, basically spring loading until it overcomes the resistance with less effort. Note: most drivers in this length are #3 or larger, you must make sure to find them in a #2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

oh and for you forgetful people always remember "righty tighty - lefty loosey" unless you're taking off the driver side wheels of an old dodge which had reverse threaded lug-nuts, many people walked home from a flat tire because of that.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tried to remove some screws the other day. Never seen that kind before. Half of the phillips heads stripped, so I tossed them, and got replacements. 2.5" deck screws. They work just fine. :D

Latest posts