Is it ok to give benadryl to dog's?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My DD is trying to clip her large dog's toenails, which have gotten very long. He hates having his nails clipped. She has purchased every gimmicky gadget and none of them work on him. He has bitten her, because he hates it so much.

She is now considering sedating him, in order to clip his nails. What do you think, is it ok to give a large dog (cross of lab, pitbull and mostly boxer) benedryl to make him relax? I checked my book on dog remedies, but it doesn't say anything about benendryl.

This dog needs his nails clipped once a month, because they grow so fast and they are black. She used to take him to the vet to have it done, but her work hours have been cut way back, so she is trying to do this herself.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've given it to dogs for allergy issues, by recommendation of a vet, but not for sedation. I don't remember the dose per pound of body weight any more either. Sorry. I don't recall it having much of an effect sedating my dogs either. I have a dog like that. He is just horrible about having his nails cut. I have to muzzle him and DH has to strong hold him. We hate it!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I was going to suggest using a muzzle to DD. I have one for my dog, just in case. But her dog is so much bigger than mine, ours woudn't fit. But I think in her case, it would be a good idea for her to spend the money on one. The dog is usually really mellow.

I'll let her know that it is safe for dogs. I would think, if you dose by weight, same as for humans, she should be ok.

The dog has a very aggressive cancer and isn't going to be with us all that much longer, so we don't want to stress him too much, but the long nails interfere with his ability to walk.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can't answer your question but I do have a techique for the same problem in my dog.
I do one nail a day- immediatley followed by a dog treat.
My girl will put up with one snip mostly but the disagreement escalates after that- so one and treat.
Of course my dog is a Lab and they will just about do anything for a treat. :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I save all my torn nylons, not that I wear them often. But strips can be used to make a muzzle to tie a dog's mouth shut when necessary. If you go over the top of the dog's snout, cross underneath, back up and cross again, then tie behind the ears, it's fairly secure. (I'm going through this in my head and I think I've got it right). Having the second person to help hold is critical. DH gives Kobi a big ole hug, then locks the elbow of the leg I'm trying to work on.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am NOT a veterinarian but my experience has been that CHILDRENS Benedryl is okay to give your dog and is routinely reccommended for allergic reactions requiring an antihistamine- the dosage should be given according to the weight of your dog. But keep in mind, you might see the opposite effect you are trying to achieve and the dog may become more hyper.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My neighbor has a dog like this and even the vet won't trim his nails....but I did! Maybe someone else who is not afraid of him, or of hurting him, a neighbor maybe? My neighbor's dog is a menace and tries to bite anyone who isn't immediate family but they walk past my house all the time and I have pulled the alpha dog treatment on him and he doesn't pull those tricks on me.

They were amazed and flabbergasted when we layed the dog down and trimmed his nails. They were so long that they had deformed his toes! He didn't try to bite one time and submitted more or less calmly to the whole procedure.

My dog always behaves better for the vet for nail trimming also.

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have given my dog children's benadryl, as well as loratadine for his many, many allergy problems. I don't think it will sedate him at all though. I have the same problem with my dog and his nails. I've tried a Smith & Hawken product that is designed to calm a travel anxious dog and even tried to get him to drink a beer :), all to no avail. Nothing calms him down enough to do the job. Sometime groomers are better at nail trimming than vets.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
A vet can prescribe an actual sedative. We had a dog when I was a kid who was so terrified of thunder she was a danger to herself. The vet gave us a sedative to give before storms and it made a huge difference!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That's what I do too, clip a nail and give a chunk of hot dog then clip another, the dog doesn't seem to mind then. The clipper I use has a little guard so you can't trim too much at once so you don't nip the quick.

A few weeks ago my 80lb dog got bit by a wolf spider and his toe swelled up twice its size and couldn't walk for 3 days so I gave him half a 325 aspirin twice a day until it went away. I did find a website that said 10mg per 10 pounds for aspirin.