Is it ok to give benadryl to dog's?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Yes, benedryl or diphenhydramine is fine for dogs. The usual dose is 1mg per pound of body weight. Most tabs or pills come in 25 mg doses.

Not all dogs will be sedated, I've seen quite a few actually get more anxious, but it varies widely by dog.

What I have found for trimming dogs nails is a multi pronged approach. I take the dog to tennis courts if they are around and let the dog run, or walk as much as they will. The surface is great at wearing the nails down fast.

I also use positive reinforcement CC&D (Classical Conditioning and Desensitization) and Shaping training to get them used to the nail trim. I could explain it, but it's kind of involved, so I won't type it out unless you want me to.

I used to work at a Doggie Daycare and I had a group of 18 dogs each day that had to have their nails trimmed. I had to train them to allow me to do it by myself with no one holding them down, and other dogs looming over. I tinkered with my training methods for a long time until I found a method that pretty much worked every time. Now I have dozens of foster dogs coming through my house that I have to train to let me trim their nails. I actually really love trimming nails!

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I give my bully dog benadryl all the time for hives (he is allergic to grass!!!) he is 60lbs and gets 50mg you can google the dosage for most drugs for animals

as mentioned by Iceblink ..be aware like kids dogs do not always get sedated with benadryl!
it makes my bully hyper!

I know this is a Self Sufficient forum but seriously ..I take my dogs in to get the nails clipped....it is way to stressful for them at home and in spite of everything I have tried ..they hate having nails trimmed and are too big and strong for me to fight them over it ..and I have tried treating and everything but they just get so stressed out ..and it costs me very little for the snip.. and for some reason they behave perfectly when I take them in

I do it every other month for about $10 each dog

some things in life are not worth fighting over (for me) if I can pay someone who is earning a living to do it for me :) I will make it up elsewhere

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I used to work at a Doggie Daycare and I had a group of 18 dogs each day that had to have their nails trimmed. I had to train them to allow me to do it by myself with no one holding them down, and other dogs looming over. I tinkered with my training methods for a long time until I found a method that pretty much worked every time. Now I have dozens of foster dogs coming through my house that I have to train to let me trim their nails. I actually really love trimming nails!
Wow, Iceblink - when can I bring my dog over?? :)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Wow, Iceblink - when can I bring my dog over??
Ha ha, but really, I do like trimming nails, I did my dogs' just tonight and it was so satisfying. No more clickety toes.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. DD had to have her dog euthanized today. She did manage to clip tha nails on sunday, using the benadryl helped sedate the dog enough, that he didn't fight her.

Our own dog on the other hand doesn't need to get his nails trimmed, because she has the run of the yard and run she does. A good portion of the yard is concrete and stone. But when we first got her as a pup, I used to trim her nails and she got used to it. I make a point of handling her paws on a regular basis. Even though she doesn't like it, she tolerates it.

DD's second dog is alot easier to manage. She can also take him for walks and runs on a regular basis. The first dog had a large cancerous growth on his leg, that made walking difficult in the last few months. Last night he started chewing it. He could barely walk today. So she decided it was time.