Is it too late to have a broody?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My silkie mutt went broody again, and she is sitting on 6 BR eggs. I got her all set up in her own little pen ( a dog crate), but then go to thinking it will be awfully cold when they hatch. They are due October 6..do you think they will be all right?

And also, does anyone know how old muscovies are when they start to lay? They are hatched in June sometime.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
As long as you have a place where they can be warm, safe, and without draft, they should be okay.

We have never let a broody hatch eggs past August - but that is just me. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have a frazzle that is trying to go broody again also. I don't intend to let her, because she lost all her feathers the last time. :rolleyes:
The feathers grew back for the most part, but now for some reason she is loosing them again. I might have to crochet a sweater for her for the winter. :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My silkie mutt went broody again, and she is sitting on 6 BR eggs. I got her all set up in her own little pen ( a dog crate), but then go to thinking it will be awfully cold when they hatch. They are due October 6..do you think they will be all right?
It wouldn't hurt to have availability of electricity in case you want to run a lamp just a bit on the coldest nights for the period when they are too big to fit under Momma but not yet fully feathered out... or at least be able to knock together a sort of box or hover for them to huddle into at those times... but as long as you can do something like that I expect they should be ok.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One good thing about a late clutch...they will be laying next Spring for sure! :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
We have a couple broodies right now and a hen that has 8 babies, and another with 13 that hatched a while ago. Latest we've had was into October.