is it too late?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your tomatoes should be fine, they may get off to a slower start but if they were seeded at the right time for your zone you should get a decent amount of fruit. The beans may not produce as much if they get too hot, but you should get something off them as well. It might be too late for the cukes, but I'd try it anyway if I were in your shoes :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, just plant your stuff. I planted my green beans a few days ago. My lettuce was a little late, but it's coming up very well. I figure if worst comes to worse, I'll eat it as baby lettuce, lol. I still need to transplant some peppers and hopefully some more tomatoes. I've planted them with the blossoms on with some and unfortunately, a lot of the blossoms fell off. I have a measley three banana peppers now, lol.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Your tomatoes should be fine, they may get off to a slower start but if they were seeded at the right time for your zone you should get a decent amount of fruit. The beans may not produce as much if they get too hot, but you should get something off them as well. It might be too late for the cukes, but I'd try it anyway if I were in your shoes :)
Cukes will take a fair amount of heat IF they have water. In fact they need to be checked every day with heat. the tiny little gerkin can become a dill in 24 hours, then a slicer and finally a jumbo [These are cuke sizes meant for pickles. The Jumbos usually go for livestock feed[pigs love them] because the seeds are big and tough much like a melon seed. unless they are those special yellow cukes a 'ripe' cuke is usually bitter.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i would think you are absolutely fine...there are a few things I put in early, but have found best results, planting..after the soil warms...
I am just working on getting it all in myself..and don't feel myself to late...there are some plants kayle, brocoli brussel sprouts..that are fine till frost..
I didn't catch which zone you are in...myself I am zone 5,

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's not too late for carrots and radishes, plus I'm still putting bush beans in the ground ... and you can plant cold crops in a couple of months for fall: lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My beans are just starting to come up. I am still amazed at how monsterous these plants are. They come up looking like a mature tree!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well its in.

put in my tomatoes (20 of them)
hot peppers (4)
bell peppers(4)
hubby planted his radishes anyway (2 rows)
2 rows of cucumbers
a row of mixed flower seeds (the kids bought me 20 packets of floweer seed) so i mixed them in a cup and planted.
1/2 row of sage and 1/2 row of dill
1 long row of green beans
have some room left even.

my garden is 15-20 foot X 50 ft.
i planted my green beans on the long and short rows of all else.
it SHOULD have been @30-40 X 60-70
next year.......

we wre going to keep mowing and tilling for next year and for fall garden.