Is my dentist a rip-off?

offgridgirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
To the OP, I feel your pain. My hubby and I live in TN but my dentist is in NC. He is a complete rip off. I had 2 crowns done 2 winters ago and it cost a small fortune. DH and I used to live in FL where I had a dental plan...which is not insurance. It would have been cheaper for me to fly to FL, have my work done using my dental plan, and fly back home. I didn't do it because it was winter and I was afraid of the storms/weather coming back home.

FYI, for anyone who cannot afford dental, do yourself a favor and check into dental plans. They are awesome. It costs about $14.95 a month for individuals and $19.95 per month for a family. Then you get about 50-80% off at the dentists office. It is well worth it especially if you need a lot of work.

There are different plans and dentists for each area so you will need to research your area. Just google dental plans and put in your info. Compare the prices...I am sure you will be surprised and pleased.

Good luck.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was 20, I had a root canal, but I couldn't afford a crown. The dentist predicted dire consequences, but what could I do?
Fast forward to last year. My dentist looked in my mouth, said I needed a crown. Now I have dental that comes with my regular insurance (not great, but certainly better than nothing!). He told me that most teeth will crack within 1 year without a crown, then asked me how long I had had mine. I told him, um, 25 years. He almost passed out! He said, well, I was living on borrowed time. Also, because of my medications, he would not be willing to repair it if my tooth actually cracked. So I agreed it was time. He gave me a porcelain one and it's done just fine.
It kind of cracked me up that they spent so much time trying to match the color to my other teeth. I said who cares, it's in the back of my mouth and nobody will see it anyway! And my mouth is already full of metal from fillings in just about every tooth.
I am fortunate that I have a great dentist. But I had to go through some real crooks to get to him.:(