Is plastic-free obtainable?

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is making progress, but seems nowhere nearly as sensitive to the issue as I am. He has many good qualities, let me say that! ;) At the same time, sometimes I come up with a solution that makes sense from a different point of view (convenience, less cost), and then I can get him on board.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We don't have good water for drinking, so we get bottled water. He prefers to buy the small bottles. I buy the gallon bottles and put them in a larger container w/a spigot. It's cheaper and takes up less room, but he won't use it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Milk jugs are a big thing here. I can get milk in bags or milk in jugs. Except for sales, milk in bags costs up to a dollar less per gallon. That's a lot when our family goes through 3+ gallons per week. Do I choose less pacakging or more recyclable?? Current dilemma...

Long term, we have an old milk pasteurizer, and I'm tempted to add a dairy goat to our herd of miscellaneous pet goats. We have a one-teated dairy goat, which isn't much use. She stands really nicely for milking though! I don't want wet ploppy cow poop mess in my barn. I'm used to pellet-poops - sheep, goats, and rabbits. :D

Amiga, I had no idea shavings could be found in kraft wrapping! What brand do you buy?

DH and my brother have considered raising CornishxRock chicks and buying a ton of feed. Last year we raised 25 and the feed cost was about $15 per bird. I said no more because those birds are so freakish, they don't have normal behavior and I feel badly for them. We raised them along with heritage breeds the same age and they're shockingly different. Anyway, the only way we would buy bulk feed is if we had a lot more birds to feed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wish we could get it like that around here.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe you could ask, Denim Deb. I was able to get the store to order some knowing I would buy it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
W/the small amount that I buy, I don't know that they'd be willing to do it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use my goat milk raw. Great milk. My Saanen gives me over 1 gal a day, generally 1.5. Does your goat produce milk in only one side? Sometimes it happens, either genetics or injury. Goat milk is very good for you.........and chickens love it, too.