Is self sufficiency sustainability?

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in a discussion on another board about this issue and don't think I am making sense to people or making much headway. So, I will ask you, because maybe I really am crazy.

Do you believe that by living a self sufficient lifestyle, you are living a more ecologically sustainable one?

In other words, if you raise your own food and produce your own energy and make your own soap, etc., are you therefore making less of an impact on the planet than if you purchased those items?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Absolutely! Without a doubt!

ETA: I'm eating home grown, home made chicken soup at the moment and can only type with one hand. I'll expland ;) more later. :p

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Buster said:
Absolutely what? I really am crazy?

:lol:
Yes, why was there another question? :gig :gig :gig

Living self sufficiently is more sustainable, even a little bit. Making our own stuff, hanging our laundry to dry instead of using electricity etc... that question was too easy! :plbb

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Funny Wildsky! :lol:

Welcome to the funny farm! ;) We are all crazy! :lol:

...frankly I can't even see why anyone would think otherwise (not that we are crazy :p).

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Buster said:
Okay, I'm in a discussion on another board about this issue and don't think I am making sense to people or making much headway. So, I will ask you, because maybe I really am crazy.

Do you believe that by living a self sufficient lifestyle, you are living a more ecologically sustainable one?

In other words, if you raise your own food and produce your own energy and make your own soap, etc., are you therefore making less of an impact on the planet than if you purchased those items?
Absolutely!
If all your resources come form your property, then you are truly sustainable.

I think this modern "green" movement, has really messed up what we are trying to do.
It has given people the wrong idea of what sustainable living is.

The elite no impact people, would have us all become vegatarians. and give all our money to energy saving stuff.
Not going to work. Its just a get rich scheme. And it still leaves you relying on government to provide for you.

The only way to truly be self sufficient/sustainable, is to become Agrarian, and to live in an agrarian community, where each family provides a needed resource for those surrounding them.
One family may be really good at blacksmithing, and another good at fibers, while yet another are excellent carpenters, etc.
Each farm would have its own gardens and animals, but services are traded as needed.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree...

*grow your own chicken=no styrofoam flat or plastic wrap in the landfill

*milk your own cow/goat=no plastic jug in the landfill

*use rainbarrels for watering the garden=less water pulled from our depleating resources

*grow your own veggies=less chemicals in the environment from large scale producers

*reuse everything=You Get The Point! :D

How could that question not be understood? Obviously, the less impact the better. That being said, even if one of us only grows tomatos in a pot on the porch, its way better than doing nothing at all but wasting!!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I definitely think that self sufficiency equals sustainability, for all the reasons that have already been stated.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If one ONLY considers the environmental benefits of growing veggies, fruit and chickens instead of incurring the pollution required to have them trucked to the store, we are already way ahead of the game. The hard-to-quanify benefits are even more astounding: improved health from eating more naturally, peace of mind from knowing how your food was tended, healthier lifestyle from tending the garden, less wear and tear on your vehicle since you don't need to go back and forth to the store so much....