Is self sufficiency sustainability?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Buster said:
Wifezilla said:
I have to totally disagree here. Animals are VERY wasteful. Just look at those @#&@#&(@# squirrels that take one bite out of a pear and throw it on the ground...then grab another pear, take one bite, toss that on the ground... evil little beasties!
:lol:

But then, if we humans weren't around to feed them in the parks and kill all their predators...
Mmmm, squirrel tastes good :D

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Buster said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
Buster i think he only visits when you are here... so either he's your doppelganger or he just follows you around???
My groupie. :lol:

We have had good conversations on several of Nifty's board, actually, most of them quite productive.
your own groupie!?!? whoot! good for you!

actually i was thinking about you today - we processed some of our turks (3 huge toms) and since you are my favorite battle-axe-wielding-turkey-guy (now that Turkey Steve is gone....)... i looked up some of your tips. we ended up using a hybrid of some of your ideas... but not the battle axe.

ohmigosh.... am I your groupie now!??!??!?! can i get a tshirt or something?

:)
Wait...

A groupie? With a battleaxe...?

Should I be frightened?

:lol:

Glad you found my monster turkey experience helpful. What did yours weigh out at?

What happened to Steve? I haven't seen him on there forever.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we had 3 big ol' bourbon red toms that were causing a constant ruckus... so they volunteered to come to dinner. dressed, they must be 25 lbs each! we let these get waaaay too big for just to two of us so tomorrow i'm partin' them up for easy roasting/stock/etc.

as soon as they were gone to their great reward.... well, a trio of our younger jakes "volunteered" for next week. they are a more reasonable table size, but may be a bit young. but its gonna be all turkey all the time around here. i think i need a turkey fryer!

and yep your pix really helped out. we took your basic ideas and figured out our own way - we ended upsecuring their feet with zip ties, putting them in a feed bag with the head sticking out, hanging them, then slitting. we used our non-battle-axe to remove the "smiley parts" then we plucked like nobody's business. the chickens helped, for heavens sakes....

all in all a good farm day!

anywhoo....

Turkey Steve got banned but his wife is still around on byc. i think Steve started his own yahoo group for turks. such a shame - he had such great info and he ALWAYS had time for everyone no matter how silly or basic your question was... i really appreciated that he never made fun of anyone for their "basic" questions and i think he only ever conflicted with harp...come to think of it i havent seen him (harp) around either. hum...

happy saturday!
ps when we go to home depot next time we are getting the axe you recommended.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
Turkey Steve got banned but his wife is still around on byc. i think Steve started his own yahoo group for turks. such a shame - he had such great info and he ALWAYS had time for everyone no matter how silly or basic your question was... i really appreciated that he never made fun of anyone for their "basic" questions
I did notice I hadn't seen him in quite a while. A shame indeed. I think I learned more from Steven than just about anybody at BYC.

ETA...

Wait. Here he is, just on today! ...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4019384#p4019384

Latest posts