Is there any point in knowing the temperature of a fever?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, all. My DD 13 is sick with a mild fever, and I can't find the thermometer. I don't really mind not knowing her temperature, because I doubt it would change anything I do anyway (tell her to stay in bed and take it easy, make sure she's eating and drinking enough, etc.). It's gotten me thinking: Does a temperature ever really matter? Is the best course just to treat based on behavior anyway (meaning watching for excessive lethargy, lack of appetite, etc.)? Or am I missing something? Do you take your kids' temperatures when they are sick, and if so, what do you do with the info? Thanks.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Yes it does matter. A high fever can cause permanent brain damage and a lot of other nasty things like convulsions.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes! Like dj said, over a certain point you are talking seizures and brain damage. Usually anything over 102 is a reason to go to the doctor or hospital.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think over 105 you are darn near dead right?
I think I got that number right?

so yea, if it is a High fever, you could have big troubles.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know a high fever can be bad news, but what I meant to ask was whether you all tend to rely on a thermometer reading, or a kid's behavior, or a combo of both when you're deciding what treatment or medical intervention is required. For example, if the kid is at 102 but is just sitting in bed reading with general aches, would you go to the doctor?

As for the 105, I think the major damage level depends on the age of the kid -- little ones tend to get higher fevers than older ones and adults.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tended to just feel and can gauge pretty well how high the fever is (once I got past the new-mommy part, LOL).

My daughter used to spike fevers of 106 very briefly. I did tell the doc, and scared me to death at first, but in her case they came down quickly and she was fine. I did talk to the doctor.

I would go by both the temp and behavior. Figuring in age too. And WHERE you are getting the 102 temp. Depending on the factors, that's borderline worrisome for me. Hard to say what I'd do ... Would depend on the answers to all of the above.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't recall all the symptoms now, but a high fever combined w/a stiff neck, a headache and a few other things can be symptoms of meningitis.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Higher temperatures fevers tend to be bacterial infections and lower temperature fevers tend to be viral infections if that makes any sense. So that could have a bearing on what you do to treat the person. I think it is good to let the fever get high enough to kill whatever it is but not let it get high enough to cause brain or eye damage.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My understanding is that the only two things you should really worry about are a) a *really* high fever -- for which it is good to check the actual number with a thermometer -- or b) a moderate fever but child is either very cranky or very dull.

So I have only used a thermometer on our kids once, I believe, in the past 6.5-years-for-one 3.5-years-for-the-other.

I only treat fevers if they are making the child really uncomfortable, like interfering with getting rest. Mostly I think the body is probably best off doing what it needs to do, within reason.

My husband OTOH is a total thermometer fiend. When he gets sick himself, he is in the bathroom every hour or two (literally), round the clock, taking his temperature. I once asked him what the point of this was. He said, "to see if I feel better yet". <shakes head and walks away> :p

Pat

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
My understanding is that the only two things you should really worry about are a) a *really* high fever -- for which it is good to check the actual number with a thermometer -- or b) a moderate fever but child is either very cranky or very dull.

So I have only used a thermometer on our kids once, I believe, in the past 6.5-years-for-one 3.5-years-for-the-other.

I only treat fevers if they are making the child really uncomfortable, like interfering with getting rest. Mostly I think the body is probably best off doing what it needs to do, within reason.

My husband OTOH is a total thermometer fiend. When he gets sick himself, he is in the bathroom every hour or two (literally), round the clock, taking his temperature. I once asked him what the point of this was. He said, "to see if I feel better yet". <shakes head and walks away> :p

Pat
I, also tend to go by feeling, and I use my own or others forehead as a comparison to gauge the fever's heat.