Is there anything SS you'd rather not do?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There have been other threads addressing similar topics but not (that I know of anyway) about what people would rather not be doing.

So, if you had to do it all over again....what would you willingly give up?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You mean ss stuff? Hmmm....sometimes I get overwhelmed with EVERYTHING....why do I have so many animals tying me down? That pity party lasts until one of the fuzzy beasts nuzzles me. Or until I have a few minutes of chicken therapy when I go out to do chores and they catch sight of me from the far end of the field and come racing in to see if I have any goodies.

Actually, if there is an ss chore that doesn't fit, I drop it without guilt, sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. I can't do it all. So I do what I can, what I enjoy, what saves me the most money, what gives me the most satisfaction, what is most important for my health and that of my family.

I haven't made bread in ages, I've been spending more for a good brand from the store. Especially since we don't eat that much bread. I temporarily dropped using cloth napkins and such in the kitchen and have been :hide using paper towels more lately. I have been overwhelmed with laundry and just cannot keep up right now. I'll go back to it, eventually.

Etc!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
Getting up early...oh wait, I still don't do that.
Yeah, that one!

I wouldn't want to...knit. I'm an epic failure at knitting.

If the SHTF, I will trade my delicious chicken meat for socks.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Worrying!

When you have so many animals in your backyard, there is ALWAYS something to worry about! Are the horses in the pasture? Are they up and grazing or on the ground thrashing? Is the coop shut? Is there anything prowling around my barn? Is there anything in the livetrap or legtrap? Does everyone have food and water? Did I forget someone? Did everyone come home to roost? Have the geese left the tomato seedlings alone? Are the plants getting watered?

I can't go on a proper vacation without worrying myself sick, thanks to my animals. The horses especially, they WAIT to get out until my husband and I are NOT home.

So while I love all my critters, I wish I could do without all the worrying. Like that's gonna happen. :rolleyes:

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
WK- I hear you! I came home yesterday from work to the horses having broken the top two boards of their fence to try to get to nice green lawn- I haven't run electric along that section of fence yet! It's getting done today. And, our chicken coop finally has the poultry netting "roof" since an adolescent eagle came up from the river and almost got the girls! Thank heavens I was home for that one and we got off with a huge scare and minor injuries.

What would I give up? Hmm. I don't do anything I don't enjoy, really. I would give up my full time job to do more SS, does that count? I would be much less stressed.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sheet rocking a ceiling. :tongue :sick

In our long time quest for self sufficiency we have done a LOT of remodeling and done all of the work ourselves.

I will gladly PAY a nice price the next time we need to sheet rock a ceiling.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
darn near alot of the work to "do it yourself"

time is my problem as with most people

free time

free time means buying some conveniences so I can travel etc....but being held captive by animals on the farm isn't fun either lol

older I get, the more back to conveniences I go I don't mind.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Butchering. I started hunting at about eight years old, and there's been a lot of years gone by since. I've raised chickens, rabbits, pigs, goats, and fish for food at various times over the years. Now I find, that the older I get, the more soft hearted (headed?) I get. I still raise animals for food, but I tend to get attached to them too easily these days. :/

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I have never had as my goal being totally or even almost totally self-sufficent. What drew me to this forum was wanting to learn more about the parts of self sufficiency I am interested in. I like growing food; I used to enjoy raising livestock; I like to make bread; I want to learn to make yogurt and kefir and soap. Like FarmerChick, I have no desire to live without the ordinary conveniences of modern life. I enjoy lesiure time!

Latest posts