Is this even Practical??

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love this forum and I want to be as self sufficient as I can!! But where my family and I live (just outside the city) I cant raise any meat that I can think of.

But what I am thinking is... since there are a few things we CAN get away with...then perhaps we can use THOSE things to barter for the rest?

Or maybe we can sell the stuff we make and take that money and buy meat?

How well would this work? Anyone have experience with this? How much success can I expect from this method right off the bat?

Here are the things we have to work with...

I might be able to swing a goat (of course this would mean milk, and cheese)

and also, we plan to make our own soap

and our own bread and anything else we can think of.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
First off, look into any ordinance that your township has regarding animals. Some places will allow a certain number of hens as long as you're not housing them too close to any other building, or the neighbors. You may find that you're able to have meat rabbits. If you have hens, you can have eggs. And, if you're allowed hens, but no roosters, you could get some fertile eggs, hatch them out, then process any roosters once they start crowing and either process your older hens or sell them to someone else.

As for raising other things to sell or barter, check to be sure what you can do legally. There are people that haven't done this, and it has bitten them in the butt.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Chickens are usually the only limited animal, in the small animal side of life. So do check your town ordinances, and if that fails check duck ordinances. :D They can provide eggs and meat, and they are quieter. Even if you don't have a pond for the ducks, a simple kiddie pool will do the job. Muscovies are also very good with meat production. But are constantly broody and dont lay a lot. Whereas breeds like the Welsh Harlequin do both. Also there is a meat you are not taking into consideration. Rabbits :D There are usually no ordinances on them because they are considered 'pets'. They are also VERY efficent with feed and hay, and reproduce good. I read this somewhere "Two Does and a buck can provide the same amount of meat as a steer calf". Now this is a project Im working with now, all four does are bred. Im awaiting children. :D Ive done the meat duck deal as a byproduct of egg incubation via the duck. Sold the females she brooded at 8$ a piece, and gave away a drake or two. Butchered one, you shouldnt pluck it just skin it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Buffy, dear, hate to tell you this but there are places that have ordinances on rabbits, like where I live. You're supposed to have at least 1.5 acres to raise any type of animal-including rabbits. Of course, that doesn't mean that people actually follow that. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Buffy, dear, hate to tell you this but there are places that have ordinances on rabbits, like where I live. You're supposed to have at least 1.5 acres to raise any type of animal-including rabbits. Of course, that doesn't mean that people actually follow that. :/
Its atleast one to take into consideration......

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I should have cleared this up. We are outside the city limits. But we rent. So anything I do I have to run past our landlord. I think I can get away with a goat but he doesnt seem to like chickens. Im not sure about ducks.

We have a pond near by.

Is it possible to train the ducks to eat and lay eggs at our house but let them can and go freely? Thats probably the only way I could pull it off lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think it's really feasible to have them eat and lay at home and live elsewhere. They generally lay and eat where they live. You could try coturnix quail. Those can be done indoors or in a very small space, and quail eggs can be marketted to restaurants and such at a premium! They're very productive meat animals, and they begin to lay in as little as 6 weeks. Do a bit of research on them. I think you could pull those off fairly easily, and can't see where the landlord would/could have issue with a few little quiet birds. It's worth asking for sure. They aren't like raising chickens or ducks at all...MUCH easier!

To the original question of whether you can make enough money to buy your meat off of other things you raise...absolutely! If you have extra garden produce you can trade it with folks who have meat products. I have done it. It's not the easiest or least complicated way to get your meat, but it works. All you have to do is find someone who likes to raise meat that has a black thumb and you're set! :lol: I even traded produce to be able to fish in a neighbors pond ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are outside city limits. that is good but I would still call zoning and find out exactly what I could have in the way of livestock. zoning can be XXX big time lol

then I would take that list and review and see 'what you can handle' then you have to go to the landlord and pitch him a viable living livestock plan for his property that you will care for and handle.

then ya gotta see what he says.

best of luck to you

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
All you have to do is find someone who likes to raise meat that has a black thumb and you're set!
Now why ya gotta drag ME into this?
:gig :hugs

(yes, I really DID have mint die on me here in TN ... trying again with a garden box, but the compost-stuff keeps trying to sprout instead.)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:yuckyuck There is someone in every community that can't grow things. I used to be one of them too :p It does take time to learn how to garden decent, just hang in there and you'll be growing whatever you want in no time!! I target the ones who eventually give up on gardening altogether :lol: