Is this where I say hello????

kathy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a newbi here by way of a facebook community. My name is Kathy and I'm from Western Massachusetts. My DH and I have 7 kids, bio and adopted. 5 are grown and on their own but we still have two daughters at home. We have about 2 acres of land. We have been concentrating on a permaculture design for a few years and at last count had 47 varieties of perennial food plants. We also have two small greenhouses, bees, chickens and we raise a couple of pigs each year. I have a great summer kitchen that's used for everything from boiling syrup to candle making to honey processing to canning and dehydrating. I love having a place to keep the mess of homesteading out of the kitchen. I teach food preservation classes and I write when I can carve out the time. I'm the author of Just In Case: How To Be Self Sufficient When The Unexpected Happens. I have written a couple of other books on foster care and adoption. My little town is wonderful. When have a great little food co-op/grocery, a well-stocked sustainability library, a perennial food group and a seed saving group. We have a raw milk dairy and lots of places where you can get goat milk for your dog as it's not legal to sell it to humans without certification. I buy it for my dog. Oh wait. I don't have a dog. I'm a little afraid to admit that I was featured on the Doomsday Preppers show. I said yes as I thought I would get a book mention. That didn't happen. We were the people with the great cider press but no guns. I have been told I could admit that here without fear of getting flamed. I do hope that's true.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, Kathy! Welcome to the gang. It sounds like you have a big head start on many of us, experience-wise. We will welcome your ideas and suggestions. What part of your introduction did you think you might get flamed for? "the no-guns"? I think there are several on here who do not include guns in their preparations for disaster. We all have to make our own choices on things like that. You have to do what feels right, for you and your family. Your community sounds fantastic! I'll have to check out the book you wrote. Sounds very timely. :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow :welcome

Gah! I own the book and watched the show! Cool, we have a celebrity on Sufficient Self! ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about being picked on here - I'm crazy as a loon and they cut me slack :gig

kathy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My celebrity and 2 bucks will get you a cup of cut-rate coffee.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
kathy said:
I'm a newbi here by way of a facebook community. My name is Kathy and I'm from Western Massachusetts. My DH and I have 7 kids, bio and adopted. 5 are grown and on their own but we still have two daughters at home. We have about 2 acres of land. We have been concentrating on a permaculture design for a few years and at last count had 47 varieties of perennial food plants. We also have two small greenhouses, bees, chickens and we raise a couple of pigs each year. I have a great summer kitchen that's used for everything from boiling syrup to candle making to honey processing to canning and dehydrating.
:welcome

You'll be liked here.

You may be in a similar climatic zone to me? (I'm in western Canada, not too far up from the US border... zone 6). It might be a bit of a burden... you've got 47 kinds of perennial food-bearing plants! Would you mind listing some? Might inform/inspire me.

We've got three kinds of berries, grapes, pears, apples, hazlenuts, asparagus, artichokes, and herbs... besides a slew of different annuals that we grow.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from warm South Jersey. Are y'all getting the same lovely weather that we've been getting? It got into the 70s today!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello Kathy and Welcome to the forum! :frow

You are going to fit in here just fine so make yourself at home and enjoy! :D

kathy said:
We were the people with the great cider press but no guns. I have been told I could admit that here without fear of getting flamed. I do hope that's true.
Flaming is against the rules here and should anyone do so, just hit the report button and it will be taken care of. ;)