Is Your Homestead in an HOA or Governed by Restrictive Covenants?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is an important word missing on that long list of things that are micro managed and that is BREATHING.

No. Absolutely not would I ever live in a HOA. Never.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only thing I would have an issue with is neighbors who have unsanitary living conditions that invite rats or something. Our neighbors shoot, we shoot. They run their tractor, we have farm animals screaming for dinner. We both have dog-aggressive dogs and we watch them carefully.

I would rather live next door to the junkyard redneck neighbor that the judgemental person who wrote that post.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HOAs (like local or state or federal governments) can go wrong, sometimes idiotically wrong. But so can your 5 or 10 acre unrestricted piece of rural paradise if you happen to be blessed with an ATV running,(yep - got 'em next door) gun wielding, (yep - all of us) heavy-machinery enthused,(do tractors count? - me and the neighbor and half the folks on our street - If I stick mine in the mud the neighbor will pull me out - if my battery is dead I jump on his. If he left his at the deer lease - he jumps on mine) junk car loving redneck neighbor (got one of those too). You can wake up to the smell of gasoline (we all mow - mowers use gasoline - it's the smell of the country) or noise of gunshots (yes) or both combined(YES)! Their kids can become your kids when you find them in your apple trees (love them neighbor kids - my substitute grands!) and their wandering hunting dogs or pit bulls can become your pets too. (or it could be MY dog that wanders and is fairly well tolerated by the neighbors, lol) 'Cause they are not afraid of sharing all of that you see.

See - all that is normal around here and we all tolerate each other and our guns, tractors, mowers, dogs, cats, and kids. For the most part we all have similar ideas and goals. All is well (unless someone cusses my dog!)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not on an HOA, but I did find out that we ARE restricted from having swine, ANY kind. HOWEVER, I was just reading my American Legion magazine yesterday, and this is one of the most contaminated places in the country thanks to being home to a Monsanto plant and a military base filled with PCBs and everything else... (Hence raised garden beds and rain water rather than well water.)

Anyway, as to the pigs, I was just reading that PCBs were found in tree bark up to 3 miles away from the Monsanto plant. The article states, "Pigs raised by" ... "residents - often the poorer members of the community - were so contaminated they had to be carted off to hazardous-waste landfills." The military base (that was used for many many years for chemical training and disposal) is closed now, but one section is used by the city and I can testify first hand that the cancer center there does not lack for customers.

Soooo, even though we're not really regulated here, the no swine ruling still seems to be in force. And probably for a good reason...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What do you think? Do you consider your HOA and/or covenants reasonable? Are these reasonable?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reasonable??? I don't even think they belong in America. No one and nothing should be that tightly regulated unless it's a prison.

Homestead? They should do some research on just what that truly is. o_O

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No. I refused to even look at HOA properties.

Basically if you're in an HOA you don't ever actually own your property and they can tell you what you can and cant do as well as change that in the future.

Even my brother learned the hard way on HOAs. Granted he was in town, but the last house he had, they wouldn't even let them have a shed unless it was built by the developer who wouldn't build sheds. So sheds were not allowed.

They made him move his raised beds in the backyard because they weren't the proper distance from the 6 foot privacy fence.

He doesn't live in an HOA anymore

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The neighbor down the road would be a nightmare for an HOA.

Big country garden out front by the road because it's the only place with sun and not soggy.

The house. ImWell they put in a real foundation under the early 70s era singlewide and had it converted to real property instead of manufactured home. Then they built on an addition of equal size. So it looks like half singlewide half cabin.

Actually there are a lot of weird houses around here. Most people have a junk pile where stuff piles up until about August and stuff is dry enough to take to the dump. Costs too much to go for only a few things.

I know someone on 10 acres a couple towns over. She's in an HOA and was told she had to get rid of her chickens. Only horses were allowed by the HOA. No other farm animals

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Then they built on an addition of equal size. So it looks like half singlewide half cabin.

:lol: Like this one? Yes, we are aware it looks like a redneck, hillbilly hodgepodge but we wouldn't trade it for any McMansion in an HOA. For starters we can pee right in the front yard iffen we want to and no one can tell us we can't. ;)

100_3593.jpg
100_2420.jpg
100_2419.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score