It pays to ask . . .

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yesterday, we went to the seed supply store. I needed to stock up on seeds and potting supplies for my greenhouse.

I had bought some gallon carry trays and humidity domes. At the back of the isle were several large boxes with several different tray inserts piled in them. Stuff like 6 pack cells, 3 pack cells and some 4" pots.

I ask if he would sell them. He said I'll make you a deal. (I liked the sould of that.) The first box would hold a dishwasher, it was so big. He wanted $10 for it. There were 4 more boxes about 1/3 that size. He said $4 each. I bought them all. Total was $26.

Got home and unloaded the huge box first. It had alot of misc. packs on top. The bottom was 2/3 full of 6 pack inserts neatly stacked. These alone would be about $35. I haven't had the chance to open any of the other boxes yet.

So, if you see some damaged, excess, or discontinued items . . . ask for a discount.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that's the way to do it punkin
a great deal, stuff you need, and a surprise on what is in the box!!!
I love sales like this...they make shopping fun instead of just feeling like we have to submit.

great find!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Great Job! I often think about asking but then don't. Something I should work on!

Congrats on your nice score :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
We have a lumber yard near us that gives us a discount if we pay with cash instead of a credit card.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dacjohns- I wish all businesses would do that- if it costs them money to pay for my credit card use, I would be happy to pay cash if they would simply share their savigns with me. :rolleyes:
When one business said to me that they prefer I use my debit card not as a credit card because it saves them money- what's in it for me? I get a miniscule credit for using my debit card that way- why should I give him charity? a lot of nerve.............

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I don't know that we get discounted the entire cost of what they get charged for accepting a credit card but it works for us and for them so we are happy. The hardware store in town won't do that so we use plastic there. Need to remember to ask the feed store.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I want the kick back also in my pocket if they want a debit card to save them on credit card expenses. Hey, pass the buck ya know! If not, then I rack up my points on my credit card so I win and they lose. Hmm...back to business school for them.>HA HA
But then again I might have paid more for what I bought also to cover their expenses...lol...I probably don't win....who knows--;)

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was at the supermarket a few months back when the staff was removing the "bad" fruit. I asked them what they were going to do with it and he said throw it out!

I was appalled. I asked the store manager to make me a deal and I got the "bad" fruit at pennies on the pound..... I was only able to do it a few times before the district manager made hims stop it. :rolleyes:

But, I always ask!