It sounds Offal-ly good to me!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As requested by FarmFresh I am posting this recipe here -

As promised in another thread here is a recipe for stuffed beef heart. Its from "Whole Earth Cookbook" by Sharon Cadwallader and Judi Ohr, published in 1972. Sharon was a friend of my mother's, and she recommended I try this recipe (we were on an extremely limited budget at the time, and organ meats were cheap). I liked it, but hubby did not, so I haven't made it since - couldn't if I wanted to, as heart is no longer easy to find; maybe when I clear out the freezers, and find my grass fed beef source ...

This is as written in the book. My own changes (were I to make this again) are in (parentheses)

1 average beef heart, 4-5 lbs
1 clove garlic (I'd want to use more)
2 tsp pepper
3 Tbls. oil (lard or bacon grease)
5 cups vegetable stock or bouillon (homemade veg. or beef broth)
2 slices bacon - optional (this would be a definite for me)
2 cups bulgur wheat
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup each: chopped onion, celery and carrot
1 Tbls fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme (to taste)
1/2 tsp dried rosemary (to taste)
flour

Trim heart of fat and remove inside connective membranes. Wipe with a damp cloth. Rub both sides with garlic, pepper, and 1 Tbls of oil. Place on rack in deep kettle over 2 cups vegetable broth. Place pieces of cut-up bacon over heart and steam gently until tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Do not overcook.
To prepare stuffing: Bring 3 cups vegetable stock or water to a boil. Add bulgur and salt. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile , saute onion, celery, and carrot in remaining oil for approx. 4 to 5 minutes. Mix with seasonings and cooked bulgur.
Place stuffing on bottom of a baking dish. place heart over stuffing, and cover with foil. Bake in a pre-heated 350* (F) oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Retain broth from heart and thicken with enough flour for gravy. Slice heart thin for serving, and serve with gravy. Serves 6
After steaming, heart can also be sliced thin, breaded, and fried quickly in vegetable oil.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Between a Danish father and my Alabama-native mother, there wasn't much that got wasted out of anything! We kids grew up eating pretty much every part of a cow, chicken, or pig in usually either Danish or Southern cuisine. We also at a lot of Japanese food, which also uses a great deal of "interesting" ingredients.

I remember fondly stuffing cleaned intestines or pork belly for Medisterplse sausages with my mom. Very time consuming but ohhhh so good.

I have to say though that I think my favorite is tongue. Lengua burritos will have me at your dinner table in a flash!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought I would bring this thread back to the fore, and post what we thought was a very nice recipe that I made the other evening.
I have recently found a source for blood sausage, of which I am quite fond. This is not very exact, as apples, and one's taste for onions or blood sausage are all different.

Baked Apples with Blood Sausage filling:

Large apples (one per serving), washed, with the top quarter (approx) cut off - core the apples, and hollow them out, leaving 1/3 -1/2 inch "wall". Cut up the apple bits to add to the filling.
Peel the casing off of blood sausage (I used about 1/4# for 2 large apples), and chop into small pieces.
Saute some diced onion, and the apple pieces in some bacon fat or lard. Season with pepper, and some marjoram or thyme (salt might not be necessary, depending on the sausage) (some sausages are more highly seasoned than others; make sure to taste, and season as needed). Mix in the sausage.
Fill the apples with the filling, top with the cut off portion of the apple, and place in a buttered baking dish. Bake at 350* until the apple is soft (took about 40 min. for me, and DH would have liked it softer :rolleyes:).
Meanwhile slice another onion, and gently fry it till golden brown. Top the apples with the onions just before serving.
I served fried potatoes with this.

We both really enjoyed this.

There are pictures here, and the original recipe - http://www.bolliskitchen.com/2011/04/pommes-rotie-au-boudin-noir-blutwurst.html

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My favorite is chicken gizzards marinated in Cornell chicken marinate and grilled until the edges are crispy and bubbling. Give me a plate of gizzards, some potato salad and a beer. I'll be very happy.

Beef and deer heart are real good. Don't like liver or livermush.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Mom saves all the livers from their rabbits until she has enough to cook them up and makes a seasoned spread that is really good. I'm not sure how she does it, but it's really good. My husband gags on it, I think it's really good, my oldest liked it so much that Grandma sent some home with us, and the two younger girls gave it the "yuck" factor.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Southerns traditionally used all of the hog. Souse or hog head cheese (scrapple is this the same, I think) was served sliced cold, like a lunch meat. Chitterlings are cleaned (interesting stories out there on doing that one), boiled then sliced, battered and deep fried. When pigs/cows are castrated the testicles are battered and fried.

I ate some of these as a child and swore off chittlerlings when I realized what they were. Years later I was married to my ex hubby and pregnant when we moved back to the general area where I grew up. Several in our church liked to go out to a local resturant on chitt'ling night. The guys were determined the ex was going to eat some so they bought our supper. One of the guys talked to the cook and had him place a few grains of whole kernel corn under the first few chitt'lings on his plate. Bless his heart, he tried but said every bite he chewed seem to get bigger, finally got the first one down and then found the corn!!! (They bought me a steak dinner because I was exempt due to preg and grown up eating them)!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Old thread, but as I found pork kidneys today at the butcher I thought I might post my recipe for Steak and Kidney pie.

(Actually, I only realize right now that I haven't ever written this down before ... so I may be short on exact amounts :hide)

I have 2 pork kidneys, which are nice because of their shape - easily cleaned, and a decent size. Beef and veal kidneys are more awkwardly shaped (harder to clean), and lamb and goat kidneys are smaller. So, 2 pork kidneys:

Cut them into approx. 1/2 inch dice, cutting away the white bits in the middle, and discarding them. Soak the kidney pieces in milk for about an hour.

You'll also want:

Beef cubes (more or less, depending on how many kidneys you have, and also how much beef you want in relation to the kidneys) - as they will not get long slow cooking you will want to have fairly tender beef - hence the name *beefsteak and kidney pie*
1 small/med. onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of quartered mushrooms
Beef stock
Salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram or thyme
Flour to thicken the gravy
Puff pastry, or regular pie crust

Brown the beef cubes, and remove from pan.
Saute the onions and garlic till soft, and add the mushrooms. Saute till browned.
Return the beef to the pan, and also the drained kidneys. Cook over med. heat, stirring, for another few minutes, and then add in seasonings to taste. Add stock (sufficient to make a gravy, but not so much as to make soup), and mix a couple of Tbls of flour into another bit of stock, and stir into the gravy till thickened.
(This was, at this point and minus the beef, a dish my mother in law served with mashed potatoes, garnished with chopped parsley)
Remove the pan from the heat, and prepare the pastry. Puff pastry is nice, but not always available. If you have it, then pour the meat into a deep pie plate or appropriate sized casserole, roll out the puff paste, and fit it over the pie plate. Poke a few holes in it to lat out the steam. I don't remember the exact temperatures at the moment, but you should start at a high temp., and then lower it after a few minutes (check the box, if using bought pastry, or on-line/in your favorite standard cookbook) This helps the pastry puff up to its full potential. If using your favorite pie crust you don't have to fiddle with the temps; put the pie into a hot-ish pre-heated oven - 375* or so - and bake till nicely browned. As the filling has already cooked you really only need to make sure the pastry is done, and everything is hot.

This makes a nice presentation if you can serve individual pies, but a regular pie cut in serving pieces works almost as well.

This will be dinner tomorrow at our house. :drool