It's official

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You mentioned the dr said you would feel groggy. Did he also say numbness and joint pain would be side affects too? To me that sounds like something you should keep him apprised of, just in case they are a sign of something. But if he said those would happen and then go away, just ignore me, lol.

I called and told him about the joint pain and numbing in my fingers and toes he said I would go away and today it has. Actually I feel I have more control of my fingers because they are more sensitive to pressure now than I have in a long time. All along I thought it was just arthritis but now I'm having second thoughts about that. My energy level is increasing a little bit more every day. The first day it was all I could do to walk across the road to the neighbors. But today is a lot better big difference.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will also suggest that if you have ever used a chiropractor, to get back to going for an adjustment more regularly. Mine has gotten my blood pressure "readjusted" a few times.... your spine affects all the other things in your system.
Also, mine told me that if a person wasn't a drinker or a smoker, that as we get older, that the "acceptable numbers" are just too low for normal people. He said that you take your age and add 100 .... that should be the limit of the top number before you start to get worried.... the bottom number should be about half of that. I have run the gamut of 190/90 to 123/70 but stay more in the range of 150-160/80-84.... Higher than my PCP wants, but my chiropractor said that some is my body's reaction to the constant pain in the knees too. I am 30 + lbs overweight.... the drs at Duke orthopedics that did my ankle replacement said that it could be worse and that I am not "obese"... Yes, I need to lose weight.... and it hurts to walk so that doesn't get done like I used to walking the pastures with the cows.

I refuse the PCP wanting to put me on blood pressure meds, wanting me to get the flu shot and the shingles shot and the pneumonia..... I am trying to keep my immune system healthy, and trying in small ways to drop a few pounds... started with a bicycling thing sitting, that helps the knees by working them without the gravity weight on them. I did it before and got away from it with the ankle replacement... but it is doing fantastic.... so time to get back to some other stuff. I am also doing all sorts of "extra stuff" with the new house and moving in the next few months....
I commend you for the weight loss. I would definitely suggest a nutritionist.... A COMPLETE blood work up with all the micro stuff; especially minerals.... might show something out of whack that can be affecting everything. And might be able to give you a few ideas to tweak the dietary end so that you can get it down more naturally.
My doctor said they recently revised the top number from 150 to 140.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will also suggest that if you have ever used a chiropractor, to get back to going for an adjustment more regularly. Mine has gotten my blood pressure "readjusted" a few times.... your spine affects all the other things in your system.
Also, mine told me that if a person wasn't a drinker or a smoker, that as we get older, that the "acceptable numbers" are just too low for normal people. He said that you take your age and add 100 .... that should be the limit of the top number before you start to get worried.... the bottom number should be about half of that. I have run the gamut of 190/90 to 123/70 but stay more in the range of 150-160/80-84.... Higher than my PCP wants, but my chiropractor said that some is my body's reaction to the constant pain in the knees too. I am 30 + lbs overweight.... the drs at Duke orthopedics that did my ankle replacement said that it could be worse and that I am not "obese"... Yes, I need to lose weight.... and it hurts to walk so that doesn't get done like I used to walking the pastures with the cows.

I refuse the PCP wanting to put me on blood pressure meds, wanting me to get the flu shot and the shingles shot and the pneumonia..... I am trying to keep my immune system healthy, and trying in small ways to drop a few pounds... started with a bicycling thing sitting, that helps the knees by working them without the gravity weight on them. I did it before and got away from it with the ankle replacement... but it is doing fantastic.... so time to get back to some other stuff. I am also doing all sorts of "extra stuff" with the new house and moving in the next few months....
I commend you for the weight loss. I would definitely suggest a nutritionist.... A COMPLETE blood work up with all the micro stuff; especially minerals.... might show something out of whack that can be affecting everything. And might be able to give you a few ideas to tweak the dietary end so that you can get it down more naturally.

FJ, It's early yet, but you get my "good post of the day award". Excellent advice, and philosophy regarding self care.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really question the "new numbers" with the adjusting down the top number. I AM NOT A DR. But I truly feel that my chiropractor just about walks on water.... He got my range of motion in my arm after a car wreck, and 2 years later when they said at UVA that I would have to learn to live with it that way..... chiropractor said, no, we can fix this..... it is in your spine, not in your shoulder..... In 2 visits I could lift it above my shoulder..... took several weeks of adjustments to get the spine back in line.... Some things now he has said is just the arthritis and wear and tear and he can't fix everything.... but I almost always feel better after being there.... and then do feel better like the next few days as things have had a chance to get "accustomed" to the new position he put them in and the change in blood flow, nerve impulses, etc.....

I am not telling you to ignore your dr. But so many are just not into the whole thing of getting your body to get healthy with food and such....they "fix" things with medications. I am honestly surprised with your weight loss that your blood pressure didn't improve.... that says that something else is out of whack.....and should be fixable with changes in your diet and maybe lacking in some vitamin/mineral to provide you with the optimum balance. Let the medication help bring it down, but there is an underlying condition that it is high, and if you can figure that out, supplementation of something you are lacking, or getting something else into your system to counteract something that is too high.... that will come with a good nutritionist, and a comprehensive blood/hair/tissue analysis.... JUST MY OPINION

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any advice on finding a good chiropractor?
I think that a chiropractor could help me with losing weight. If my hip didn't hurt so bad, I could exercise more and help to loose this weight.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mostly word of mouth referrals.... mine was referred by an old order mennonite farmer of mine and I am still going after 27 years.... He follows the Gonstead method of chiropractic and his son just got done with school and has a practice about an hour east of me. The father's practice is about an hour or so south.... But I just like him and his wife. You have to have a rapport with them. Never let one touch you without a full assessment and xrays..... they just don't "crack your bones" ... they have to know what they are looking at/ feeling.... and can track your progress over years. I think we have done xrays 3 times in the 27 years... and that is why I am not getting as much out of it because of the abuse my spine has had and the arthritis now that is getting into my joints. But he does still help me and as long as I am walking, and he is practicing, I will go to him.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My take on Drs: If a Dr only has hammers in his tool box, everything looks like a nail. If the Dr. only has screw drivers in his tool box, everything looks like a screw.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that they keep adjusting numbers. DH has had the exact same fasting blood sugar since high school, 110. In his 20's and 30's, the doctors said "That's Great!" In his 40's and 50's, the doctors looked concerned and said "You need to keep a close eye on this, don't want to become diabetic!" The last time he saw his old doctor, he tried to give him a prescription for Metformin-- not because he was actually diabetic, but "you're pre-diabetic, and this is just in case". He quit that doctor and now has a good doctor that not only agrees that he doesn't need to worry, he actually looked at the list of meds DH was on and threw out about half of them.

I have a feeling that Big Pharma comes up with new drugs, then invents a disease it will "cure". Then they give kickbacks to doctors who discover this "disease" in their patients and prescribe the new, very expensive drug.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby's doctor has actually backed him off on the blood pressure meds. He needed the high dose after the stroke to get it anywhere near normal. Over the last month the amount was gradually reduced to half that. He'll be staying at this dose now. The med works for him without much side effects and he was on it before.

There was one that a military doctor tried him on back in the early 2000s. After about 2 months I made him go tell the doctor they had to try a different one because it turned him into Satan and was threatening his marriage. He is logical and when I was complaining about him being nasty and aggressive immediately knew there was something wrong as I'd never accused him of that before. He went in the next day and they changed it.

Latest posts