I've been making these far too long... =] Winter Hats

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made my first cat ear hat when I was 14 years old out of some left over polka dotted blue polar fleece. It was badly made, and nothing was measured and I really didn't even use a pattern, but I LOVED that hat. By 10th grade the hat had kind of become my thing. People knew me at shows or concerts and out on the street by the hat, and I even wore it into the summer despite it being fleece (I kept my hair short in the summer to allow for this LOL). I started getting requests for hats, but I never went through on them.. just made them and gave them away to people I liked. I have one currently residing in Birmingham, UK that was given to a friend I met while I was visiting my Aunties about 6 years ago. Just recently I took up making them again after I realized I'd lost or had stolen my cute little original cat ear hat at CHSS. So far I've made 3 in the last day, two kind of got eaten by my sewing machine a little (the problem has since been resolved, stupid bobbin!) but I am about to finish up one for a birthday gift for my exboyfriends (read: best friend now) fiance and the first one that got messed up a bit is going to a friend near Windsor as a "HAI WE'RE FRIENDS" present =]

I know lots of people make these, but since quite a few of you guys sew and quite a few have kids I thought you'd like to see them anyhow! Little girls love them. I make mine kind of punky and it suits my friends and myself who are all into the alternative scene/indie/death metal, ect. but I have also had a few requests for Dinosaur ones, which I'll be posting photos of once they are done =]

Enjoy!

punkcathat.jpg

This one got a little screwed up on one ear, I'm keeping this one to replace my stolen/lost cat hat.

hatonme.jpg

And a shot of it on me =]

And PS, to keep this on topic, these are a great and fairly cheap way for a) your teens to make some money! I guarantee you if you teach your teenage daughter how to make these, she'll be a smash at school and everyone will want one because they're CUTE, I charge $25/hat and I get what I charge so its a great way to make some spending money, b) They're a cheap way to make a winter hat and since you can fit many into a metre of fleece you can make many and that just makes them a little cheaper and self sufficient!

Note: I use a Husqvarna Lena sewing machine, Thin polar fleece for the main hat (thats the black bits), Chunky black and red yarn for the tassles, and Thick "Canada Red" coloured polar fleece for the insides of the ears.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) Haha so do I..

I'm buying a rather expensive but very well made and warm snowboarding jacket for winter this year and my hat will match it =] haaa.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
OMG I have a black and white one!!! :lol:
Hehehe, I miss my blue one but the red and black is the next best thing. I'm starting to make mittens soon as well, with the colour in the ears as the paws on the palm of the mitten XD

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another one, same colours.. better ears hehe. This one is a birthday present for my ex's fiance :)

megshathalfdone.jpg

I've also got a red and black Dino one in the works now for a guy friends birthday (NEXT WEEK!!! AHHH) but I gotta see if mine fits him first because his might need some customizing.

Oh, and meet Styro (or Sty for short), she's the styrofoam head. She was accidentally decapitated at a fashion show as one of the lights came down while she was on the walkway, so now she makes her living as the model of my stylish hats =] Don't tell her I said this, but her head is kinda crooked...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i making hoodie/shawls for my nieces and the hoods are quite like

bat for the younger

panda for the elder

i don't trust them to wear hats and coats in the winter otherwise