I've fallen in love with hummus!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I knew I liked it, but I'd never made my own - I think I'm in love!!!!

I'm enjoying it with whole wheat matzo crackers, but carrots were good in it the other day, too.

Recipe (modified a bit from the one on the back of a can, especially since I'm soaking my beans first now, which means, ummm, no canned beans ;) )

2 cups garbanzo beans/chick peas
1 cup kidney beans
4 tbsp-ish tahini
1 tbsp-ish of minced garlic from a jar
drizzle of olive oil around the top of the food processor
several glugs of bottled lemon juice
salt to taste

Process in food processor until desired consistency is reached; I like mine still kinda chunky. Use lemon juice and/or water for liquid to help get that desired consistency.

Another added advantage I'm discovering as I'm snacking on this - it really dries out my mouth, so I'm chugging the water I'm needing to be drinking :D

(And food gurus, please, please, please tell me there's nothing wrong with the tahini :fl storebought, but all that's in it is the "creamed" sesame seeds, and I gotta stir the oil back in when I go to use it, just like an all-natural nut butter)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We love it too, although I make a lactofermented hummus, and it must be heavy on the jalapenos. Here's my recipe that I got off the net somewhere, don't know where....

Lacto-Fermented Hummus

3 cups cooked, drained, garbanzo beans (see *note* below)
1/4 cup lemon juice 2
cloves garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
1/4 cup whey
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne, or to taste
2 to 4 Tablespoons filtered water, or more as needed
*add jalapenos or roasted red peppers as desired, to taste, after blended.

You Will Also Need:
1-quart sized wide-mouth jar

In the bowl of a food processor, add the garlic and pulse to mince. Add in the beans, lemon juice, sea salt, whey, cumin, and cayenne. Process until a paste forms.
Add in filtered water, a little at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Transfer bean mixture to a 1-quart wide mouth jar. Place lid, preferably with air-lock, on top of the jar tightly. Let set at room temperature for about 3 days. Transfer to fridge for long term storage.
Serve at room temperature. For a nice presentation, drizzle dip in serving bowl with olive oil and/or sesame oil. (A light dusting of paprika on top also makes a lovely addition.) Serve with fresh veggies and/or pita chips.

*NOTE* For best nutrition soak dried garbanzo beans 12 hours (or more) in filtered water to cover, along with a few Tablespoons of whey. After soaking, drain the beans and cook as you would normally. (I like to cover the soaked beans with filtered water and cook in the crock pot on low all day about 6 to 8 hours.)

ETA, I added tahini also, not sure on the amounts, but until it tasted right. I will eat it with a spoon, since I don't do crackers. yummmmm

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Could I try it without the cumin and cayenne? I'm not big on very spicy, and cumin just isn't a favorite.

And what's an airlock lid?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You could try it, although you would need to replace the flavour with something, I would think. maybe jst salt and garlic? and I didn't use an airlock lid. wouldn't know where to find one. I put a canning lid on, but loosely. Beware, mine oozed out of the jars as it fermented. And also, don't make too much if yo don't like sourish. It has an awesome flavour right at first, but if you let it sit for a month or so, it will taste 'fermented'. No that we mind, we love it and are eating a three month old jar right now.

I would think i fyou watned to leave out the spices, you could do rasted red pepper., which is also good.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Next question - what is the health benefit of lactofermenting the hummus, after I've soaked them in whey/water for 24 hours before cooking?

(I'm trying to learn, really I am!)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
soaking the beans get rid of the phytates. Loactofermenting bring in the good bacteria for good gut health. :) It also is a way of preserving things a bit--they will last a good while in your fridge.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I want to make lentil hummus as the other legumes are too carby for me.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hummus is not bad... but I never follow a recipe! It is a bit different each time I make it.

My favorite is Baba Ghanoush!!