jam ? what to do with all the extra...

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For thumbprint cookies, it has to be Raspberry jam, in my opinoin. Same goes for a jelly roll. Love toast and jam. Have one dog that I have to share my taost and jam with. Nice thing about a PB & J sandwich at work is that if someone brings lunch in, or offers to buy, you can usually still eat it the next day.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Stir some into some homemade yogurt!
Absolutely! I eat pb&j a couple of times a week, but the home made yogurt and home made jam makes the best, easiest breakfast at work.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't give any away.... unless someone sees my jam and asks for some. Then I know they won't waste it. I ask for my jars back too. :D So far, we've used everything up during the year that I make it.

I've made a ton of grapefruit jelly and tangerine jelly this year, yum! I also got a deal a while back on organic apple juice and made a batch of apple pie jelly - my husbands favorite, besides strawberry jam. We have a little neighborhood flea market that is open every Saturday. I've thought about selling some there since I'm overflowing with grapefruit.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Jam in a pot with a little water, add fresh minced ginger and crushed red pepper to taste for an awesome glaze for meats or stir fry vegetables. :drool

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
kimnkell said:
Wifezilla said:
That's one way to get rid of that extra jam...and extra money...and excess sanity...

:gig
I usually give my jams and jellies at Christmas too but I didn't give much away this past year because of the past experiences with my family.... They don't seem to appreciate receiving a homemade gift such as canned goods...I don't understand why but... I don't feel that I should give to those who don't appreciate the work that I put into it. However, there are some of my friends that truly appreciate it and would love to have it all the time.....
I KNOW!!!!
I always make my Christmas gifts. Year before last was coffee, cocoa, tea mixes and biscotti. Not a big hit. My MIL had it just sitting on her counter until March when I think she just threw it away. (they really were good) My neices just looked at them, gave me an obligatory smile and gently sat them on the floor. Last Christmas was canned goodies. Again, my MIL still has a jar of "Apple Pie Filling" sitting on the counter, next to the chips and stacks of mail. I think I'll just keep my goodies and go buy a bunch of cheap crap from the dollar store next year.
Isn't that a shame..lol.. some of our friends and family just don't know what they're missing do they? I think the homemade gift exchange would be a good idea , like you said we do know how to appreciate a homemade gift . :D

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is too bad they didn't enjoy the homemade gifts.:( We gave people homemade jelly, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, and homemade soaps and skin balms for Chrismtas and it went over really well. But most of our family is kind of on the same page as us and appreciates a homemade gift.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey Calendula--Another Wisconsinite!

We have dozens and dozens and dozens of jars of jam in the pantry and freezer. We have quite a few red raspberries, 2 large strawberry patches, piles of wild blackberries and wild black raspberries, 3 currant bushes that produce an insane number of clusters, and access to 9 blueberry bushes. Plus, the peach tree finally started producing, and a friend gives us free picking of her enormous pear tree.

We. have. jam.

A lot goes into our early spring CSA shares and as thank-yous to our CSA members at the end of the year. A lot gets used in the kids packed lunches during the school year. Anything that doesn't set up well becomes pancake sauce. Haven't bought syrup in probably about 5 years! We gift a lot to friends and family, but only to those who definitely want it :) Too much work to go to the hesitant!

And, this year, I started selling it with the new "pickle law" we have in WI. I will be bringing it to market this year. For 1/2 pint, I'm charging $5. It went pretty well at a local garden expo. We'll see how it goes at market. Storebought just simply cannot compare!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This past summer I made several pints of "Red Clover Jelly" and it was really good. It tastes like honey and I thought next year I will make lots more of it because I substitute it for honey when sweetening my tea and does a great job. I also made some great tasting "honeysuckle Jelly" and some "lime basil jelly " from my herb garden...oh, and rose petal jelly from my rose bush too... I love to make Jelly...