jambunny's summer dreams

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finally, finally, finally. I have been having rabbit breding problems all year. 2 does thought there babies would be better born on the floWor and left alone, one thought it would be a good idea to up and die when her kits were 2 weeks old. I think at least 2 of them have figured out how to take care of their kits and between the 2 of them there are 18 kits. Started out with 19. Of course they still are allergic to the nesting boxes, (haven't figured that out. I have never had that happen more than once with the same doe) but, they are taking care of them. I am dreaming of some wonderful rabbit dishes this Winter.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Looking forward to more of your rabbit adventures. SO's grandfather used to raise rabbits for food. I also had neighbors who did the same. They usually didn't let us visit the rabbits, because they were for eating.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well my dreams turned to nightmares last night when one doe decided to use her nesting box to smash all but 3 babies. She didn't feed them and lost one more today. I was hesitant to take the box out because she used it as a safe haven to get away from her babies. She is also is very nasty to me and I was unsure as how far to push her in case she took it out on her kits. After I took the box out she then fed the last 2. I have another doe due in the next couple of days. We will see if she can figure it out. Last litter with her was a nightmare.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am not sure why they make it so hard. I do have 7 more at the moment. Born on the wire but I put them in the box and they are doing well so far but are only 2 days old so we'll see. Rabbit is very similar to chicken, stringier and drier but very healthy due to low fat content, and yummy.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Jambunny, sorry to hear about your doe/kit problems. I haven't ever raised rabbits, but one of my friends just got a restaurant contract for hers. I know she gives a doe 2 chances to be a good mama and then they are culled, as she says she does not want to pass on the "bad mama" gene.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Interesting...

I have two pet rabbit does. One is new since my old man died...:( flop eared Holland lop. Boy, we have tried everything to introduce them and they dont seem like they will ever get along. Are our efforts futile?

(We have one female lionhead about one years old and the new bunnie is another Holland lop about 5 months old.)

Any suggestions Jambunny?

(The pen is pretty large about 75 sq feet.)

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I started this 2 years ago. It is a new summer and I just realized I did not answer someone's question. A bit late now. I recently lost my job, long story, but after 20 years my integrety would not allow me to stay where I was when the new manager came. I hope to get my farming a bit more refined since I actually have some time. A short bio
We have a 25 acre spot in Wy. Not the best location for what I want to do but things are changing here some. I will be an empty nester after this summer, at least in the winter time. We have 6 kids with the yours mine and ours method. We have dairy goats, dairy cows, sheep, 2 alpacas, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and rabbits. We raise butcher pigs in the summer but dh has drawn the line at breeding them, for now teehee. I want some bees. I believe in God and farming with as few chemicals as possible. To me that means NONE.

Latest posts