Jar not filled

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
miss_thenorth said:
So, I will do the finger nail test (darn--I just clipped them), and if not--use right away and boil for at least 10 minutes???
Or you could reprocess or freeze. (And personally I would not get overly carried away with 'right away' and boiling first, not for tomatoes anyhow. I am not advising anyone to be lax about food safety of course, just reporting what I'd do :p)

Pat
Agreed. I get more freaky about beans and meat since they are not acidic. Acidic foods like tomatoes just don't have a great environment for growing botulism.

In college epidemiology, I will never forget the story of a woman who dipped her fingers into her canned beans to take a tiny test to ensure their safety. She nearly died of botulism. It helps me try to follow guidelines a bit more closely than I otherwise would. It also makes me a little freaky about beans.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
It also makes me a little freaky about beans.
Whoa, it's a good thing you've just *been* given a custom member title, or you might be in a lot of trouble from that sentence... LOL

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:ya Maybe I should cut down on the caffeinated tea! Maybe I need to tone down the rhetoric on food, hey? I think the combination of more time with kids back in school, berries and corn work being done and lovely fall weather is making me a bit manic :D

Actually, I meant freaky as in afraid. But, I really do LOVE beans. I despised them (the dried kind) as a child but now really, really enjoy beans in many different ways.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! I did it again. Started a thread, didn't get back for a couple days, and there's 2 pages to go through. I just tried the fingernail thing and the lid didn't come loose, but I think I'll go with the using that one first idea. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup

Miss_thenorth - Hijack my thread?! :gig Come on now. How often does a thread stay true to its original subject around here? :)