Jars

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a bunch of jars at a sale. These were in an old shed that the owners didn't want to clean out so I bought all of the contents for $5. I got some good canning jars, the Kerr, Ball type in both quart and pint. Then I found that there were about 15 blue jars in this room all individually wrapped in newspaper. Of these blue ones, I have some pints, quarts and two quart sizes. Some of these have the old glass lids.

Then I discovered that I had purchased about 30 of the old glass milk bottles. Most of these are the quart size; however, a few were pint, and a couple are gallon.

Questions: What do I do with the blue jars? Do I can with them or do I try to sell them to a collector? Then there are the milk bottles! I'm not going to buy a cow and start a milk route so what do I do with these?

Any ideas? :hu

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Fill the glass milk bottles with varying amounts of water and Bingo! you have a glass harp! :lol: Pure brilliance like this should find it's way into someone's will. ;) :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ship them all to me! For this privilege, I will gladly put you in my will, and keep you there for at least as long as it takes me to unpack the boxes and admire the bottles and jars. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I use the old blue canning jars with zinc lids for storage in the pantry (candied ginger, dried herbs). They look beautiful and the darkened glass helps keep some light from destroying the contents.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Some blue jars are reproductions, some are truly old. I don't know how to tell the difference. We have one as a coin jar, when it is full, I roll 'em and buy something ss.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Dace started a thread on holiday craft ideas- if you decide not to keep the blue jars, fill the jars with something like hard candy and give as gifts.
Make them into candles, the lit blue glass would be stunning for summer evenings.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I like keljonma's idea of just using the blue ones for storage, and Sylvie's idea about using them for candles. I don't know anything about candle making so that one I would have to work on.

I really got excited when free posted, "I will gladly put you in my will, and keep you there for at least as long as it takes;" however then she added, "me to unpack the boxes and admire the bottles and jars." :th

As far as the milk bottles being filled with water goes, Sylvie, that might work for me! You see, my college degree was in music. I know more about the rudiments of harp composition that I do about candle making! :plbb

For your help, I'll put each of you in my will. Who knows - maybe one of you will still be in it when I start playing that golden harp up in the sky! :gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tallman, when I picked up my last several dozen jars I found a couple old ones as well. Mine were not blue but clear Mason strong shoulder jars. With a bit of research I found this jar sold for about 10 dollars on e bay. Your blue ones would be worth more than that.

If I am not mistaken you can make a lantern from the jars/ bottles as well. By wrapping wire around the neck and making a loop type handle. Then lower a candle right down in side. Might be useful.

good luck, :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, but you don't need to do anything special with them when you send them to me. You don't even have to run them through the dishwasher. DH will do that here....can't wait to get them!! ;)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Yesterday I bought a bunch of jars at a sale. These were in an old shed that the owners didn't want to clean out so I bought all of the contents for $5. I got some good canning jars, the Kerr, Ball type in both quart and pint. Then I found that there were about 15 blue jars in this room all individually wrapped in newspaper. Of these blue ones, I have some pints, quarts and two quart sizes. Some of these have the old glass lids.

Then I discovered that I had purchased about 30 of the old glass milk bottles. Most of these are the quart size; however, a few were pint, and a couple are gallon.

Questions: What do I do with the blue jars? Do I can with them or do I try to sell them to a collector? Then there are the milk bottles! I'm not going to buy a cow and start a milk route so what do I do with these?

Any ideas? :hu
I'll take a few of the milk bottles. We get fresh milk from a friend and it would be great in glass jar.