Jelly from Wild Grapes

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I couldn't get any concord grapes this year since my MIL's grapes didn't do anything. But I did get my hands on a lot of wild grapes. I had to wonder if they would amount to anything, they are so small and have hardly any flesh to them. But they sure did! I was really pleased with how it turned out so I wrote about it on my blog. Such a pretty color and the flavor is really something special. I will definitely do this again!

http://journey11.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/jelly-from-wild-grapes/

I am wondering if persimmons would make a good jelly. I've found some very nice ones on my dad's farm the other day and there should be plenty left. Has anyone tried it?

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandma used to make persimmons jelly and she really like it.

Will check your blog in a minute!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I can get enough to make it worth a try. I need to get back out in the woods anyways and do a little mushroom hunting.

Boy, I wish I could go today! Gorgeous day today... But I've got a few things I promised my husband I'd get done while he's at work (I'd feel bad anyway 'cause he's stuck working overtime today).

I'm assuming you could simmer persimmons in water to make juice, like you would for grapes, etc?

ETA: I foundthis recipe for jelly . It even calls for honey...sounds yummy!