Jenlyn9483: Jen's Journal-- Countdown begins

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a long time BYC'er but new to Sufficient Self. I don't know why I just found this site. I LOVE IT, I'm already addicted! So I thought I would share a few things about me..
Birthdate 9-83 that makes me 25 at the current moment. I live in a small community on the outskirts of Panama City, FL. My mother and I moved to this community when I was 15 years old and as an adult I seem to keep finding my way back here. I have a 3 yr old son that is the light of my life from a previous brief relationship. I am currently engaged to a wonderful man that I have been with for the past few years. We are planning an October Wedding that is taking up alot of my time planning and sorting out. My education and Career surrounded Business Administration, executive and blue collar but I was laid off over a year ago. I have been a stay at home mom since then. I try to make the most of the horrible the state the economy is in and I try to be as self sufficient as I can. I grew up in a very country self sufficient home. I am still learning old tip from my mother. I have A WHOLE LOTTA chickens, Rouen and Blue swedish ducks, New zealand and Californian meat rabbits, 2 Registered Nigerian dwarf nanny goats and 3 Very spoiled rescued dogs. I enjoy canning ( have only boiling water bathed so far, I own my mothers old Presto pressure canner but still need to get a few more parts for it), freezing and preserving, Soap making ( glycerine and lye goat milk soaps) I am a novice but love learning new things, Knitting, scapbooking and pictures, cooking, hatching, Reading, horses and gardening. Here are a few things about me.

01. Name? Jen or Jenlyn9483
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Neither ben to either one but Disneyworld is closer.
04. What is your favorite color? RED
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? Icebreakers- I dont chew gum alot
06. How much do you weigh? Plenty - 25 lbs more than I want to
07. How tall are you? Tall - 5' 4"
08. Can you swim? yes
09. Do you like to swim? One of my favorite things
10. Living arrangement? Engaged- Co inhabitating
11. What's on your mouse pad? mouse pad? Breast cancer awareness on my desktop but nothing for lap top
12. Favorite board game? Anything Trivia
13. Favorite magazine? Better homes and gardens or Ladies home journal
14. Favorite Actor? I dont know anymore, dont watch many movies
15. Favorite Actress? Reese witherspoon, Catherine Zeta Jones
16. Do you have an accent? Very Southern
17. Favorite smells? Rain on fresh cut summer grass, The river at night, The gulf of mexico at night, Horse sweat, sweet mimosa's in summer, gardenia's and magnolias.
18. Least favorite smell? chemicals, burning hair
19. Favorite sound? Rooster crowing, waves crashing, whippoorwill
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Creek, River, Spring, or Ocean
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Never have
22. Pencil or pen? pen
23. Who's better - boys or girls? Depends on if they are you teenage kids
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? I would like to own a harley someday.. I LOVE to ride crotch rockets as they are called but I couldn't drive on, I would kill myself in 2nd gear.
25. Do you sing in the shower? Sometimes when I know no one is home
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? The beast from Beauty and the beast when he turns into a man
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? What to fix for bfast and my chores to come
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? I usually dont answer it, Im the worlds worst with a telephone, dont know where it is half the time
29. How do you want to die? I dont want my body to outlive my mind
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? No, No interest
31. Gold or silver? Silver
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? I have always wanted to, the closest I ever came was reverse bungie
33. Do you like dressing up? Definetly when I have the clothes to wear.
34. Would you rather be short or tall? I like the height I am, in the middle.
35. Do you enjoy reading? YES, I read instead of watch movies, I love learning new things to make me smarter or more sufficient.
36. What book are you reading now? Right now im knitting instead of reading, I rotate.
37. Favorite books? Right now it's my Preserving the Harvest Recipe book, Besides cookbooks I love anything by Catherine Coulter, Nora Roberts, Katherine Stone, Penelope Williamson, Sylvia Brown, Etc
38. What was the last movie you saw? Out - Can't remember at the moment.
39. Favorite movies? Troy, Can't remember the rest at the moment
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? No only a Rottweiler and occassional 3 yr old.
41. What is your sign? Virgo
42. What are your personality traits? Loyal, perfectionist, creative, artistic, get things done, juggler.
43. What's your biggest fear? Something bad should ever happen to my son
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? Never say never, but I would never have a boob job the thought of foriegn objects floating in my body freaks me out.
45. Future child's name? We are actually planning a child for next year so I have been thinking of names, I like Daryn for boy or Allesandra for girl, My mothers name is sandra and my fiance is Italian so thats the italian form of that name, I kinda like isabella or aerabella too.
46. Favorite foods? Everything bagels, Eggs, Gravy, Keilbasa and Cabbage, Medium Rare Ribeye Steak, Baked potatoes. I love food what can I say.
47. Chocolate or vanilla? CHOCOLATE
48. Do you like to drive fast? Yes fast
49. Storms - cool or scary? Very COOL and relaxing
50. Do you like to dance? I LOVE TO DANCE, i want to learn more dances.
51. Do you do drugs? No
52. Do you smoke? Occassionally but not really, sometimes a good cig is a great match to a cold beer on a stressful day.
53. What do you think of people who smoke? People who have chronically smoked for a long time should think about cancer. I CANNOT STAND it when a pregnant women lights up.
54. Do you drink? I love a good cold beer occassionally, once in a blue moon a nice stiff Jack and coke hits the spot. In the winter I like an occassional glass of Muscato wine.
55. Favorite drink? Water, Sweet Iced Tea with lemon, bud light , Gentlemen Jack, Muscadine wine.
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Yes but it seems rare that neither party would ever entertain a romantic thought depending on how close the friendship is.
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Yes.
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Same thing I said when I was 4- a Vetranarian
59. What's your "type"? Talk dark and handsome, of course, must have Sexy eyes.
60. Do you bite your nails? No, never have
61. Any siblings? Yes - 6- five halves and 1 whole
62. What movies have you cried in? I can't remember, I think the notebook. Im usually not a sap, has to be really emotional.
63. Do you believe in God? ABSOLUTELY
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? Yes who hasn't. I have cried over romantic relationships and more often than not family and friends.
65. Have you ever stolen anything? I remember stealing candy from a store when I was 4, my mom was VERY mad at me, I didnt get to keep it.
66. Do you procrastinate? Sometimes
67. Do you believe in fate? Yes in some situations.
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Used to watch it when I was little but now I dont have one, my son likes Elmo.
69. Do you organize your CD's? NO
70. What is your favorite kind of music? Country, Some Pop
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Right now Im loving some Taylor Swift songs, I also like, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Shedaisy, Carrie underwood, Luke bryan, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band and my FAVE Sara Evans
72. What was the last CD you got? Cant remember I have I tunes now
73. MTV or VH1? neither anymore, sometimes i watch some of the reality shoes tho
74. Who do you admire the most? human? - my gpa, Other people have their admirable traits, like my mother
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? Nope
76. Are you single? No im engaged
77. Favorite TV show? Paranormal State, Its me or the dog, My fair wedding, Bridezillas (hey im engaged, i gotta get edumacated)
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? Brunettes rule
79. Glasses or contacts? neither
80. What color are your eyes? Dark Brown
81. What is your natural hair color? Darkest brown
82. But what color is it now? Dark brown with all these crazy red and gold summer highlights
83. Have you ever been in love? Yes a couple times before this time
84. Any pets? 3 spoiled rescued big doggies, 2 cats, and two Nigerian dwarf nannies, the rest is pretty much livestock,,,, I am partial one of my rabbits tho.
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? good
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? half full
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? Yes, Im a very good typist
88. What's under your bed? Soap making supplies
89. What is your favorite number? 6 I dunno why
90. Favorite sport to watch? Horse racing, The Kentucky Derby

That should do. Now you know me.

edited to put user name in title, per the rulesw

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome, some of your answers made me laugh. Great to have you on board. sounds like your going to have a ton to contribute.
:thumbsup

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I hope to contribute and learn alot.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome Jen! Just remember, while you are pickin your moms brains about being SS..share some tips! :p Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Funny you should say that, Yesterday I sent her a link and told her she should join. She is always lurking and reading on BYC (even tho she dont have chickens anymore). She has been lurking on here too, I told her she could contribute alot. When we were growing up we lived like little house on the prairie, sort of, Off the land, the animals and the river. My mother has tried almost everything there is. If we would have had internet back then and sites like this, MAN, she would have conquered the world by now. Needless to say she wore out her library card.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Same with my mom!!! She and my dad went to the extension office and got every booklet and flyer they had, and got to work. That was back in '76. I recently borrowed a copy of Stocking Up and called my mother to ask if she had the book (hoping to snag her copy!) since almost everything in it was familiar from my teen years, and she told me it all came from the extension booklets.

Wow, imagine if we'd grown up with all the info available now!!!