Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
that they are. I've got one gal who is half Nubian and half lamancha, i call her the mouth of the south. she is the one who hollers at me as soon as i step out the door. she is a pia but i love her. how are the chickens doing? did you get the meaties butchered and how were they? I've never bought just meat chickens always have extra of the dual purpose breeds that i get or raise.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got the meaties butchered. They look just like the ones from the store. All pretty and plump. I'm not sure if I'll raise more. They were more maintenance that's for sure. Since they eat so much they poo a lot more than regular chickens so their cage has to be cleaned thoroughly and often. They lay around a lot too so they end up running their feathers off their breast and it looks pitiful. I've got some RIR roosters I need to process and may just stick to raising the extra Roos and get my meat that way although they don't give nearly the meat a Cornish cross does.
And I want to see what the cross looks like too!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Britesea, they are kinda cute. she has elf ears, a roman nose and plus a personality plus! tried to upload a photo for you but computer won't let me for some reason.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got the meaties butchered. They look just like the ones from the store. All pretty and plump. I'm not sure if I'll raise more. They were more maintenance that's for sure. Since they eat so much they poo a lot more than regular chickens so their cage has to be cleaned thoroughly and often. They lay around a lot too so they end up running their feathers off their breast and it looks pitiful. I've got some RIR roosters I need to process and may just stick to raising the extra Roos and get my meat that way although they don't give nearly the meat a Cornish cross does.
And I want to see what the cross looks like too!

If you ever do meaties again, you might have a better experience with them if you free range, feed fermented feed and use a good deep litter in their living area. Makes for a stink free, less labor intensive and healthier end product.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like to cut them in half scoop out the seed. Add liberal amounts of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper then cook them cut side up on the BBQ grill with cherry wet wild black cherry wood chips mixed in with the charcoal. Just something about that mild smokey butter flavor and crookneck summer squash that gets my mouth watering.

My wife cans squash relish - it's so good...

I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Seems so peaceful and your pit is just too Cool